Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinXP Sound help

• Please log in to reply

DOH!

DOH!

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Hey guys, I know this isnt the right section, it is in a way, but I notice this gets a lot more attention then Hardware section gets. I have a problem with my sound card, my onboard card took a dump on me so I installed a Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit card. Not the external one. But ever since I reformated.. I will just be listening to winamp, and *SCREECH* and then it throws a blue screen that says that windows had something or other, and must shut down --> shows you have to get into safe mode if it doesn't restart, or something. Hopefully you know what I am talking about then towards the bottom says

STOP : 0x0000009c (0x00000004, 0x80545FF0, 0xB2000000, 0X00070F0F)

Begin physical memory dump.

It never did this before I reformated, and now has been giving me problems. I have the current drivers I believe, but I dont think its the drivers that would give me problems, thanks in advance for the help, and please dont point out that it's not in the right forum, because I know it is :whistling: .

Again, thanks in advance guys. :blink:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
SYMPTOMS
You may receive the following Stop error message:
STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x00000000, 0xb2000000, 0x00020151)
"MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION"
The four parameters inside the parentheses may vary.

This behavior occurs because your computer processor detected and reported an unrecoverable hardware error to Windows XP. To do this, the processor used the Machine Check Exception (MCE) feature of Pentium processors or the Machine Check Architecture (MCA) feature of some Pentium Pro processors. The following factors may cause this error message: • System bus errors
• Memory errors that may include parity or Error Correction Code (ECC) problems
• Cache errors in the processor or hardware
• Translation Lookaside Buffers (TLB) errors in the processor
• Other CPU-vendor specific detected hardware problems
• Vendor-specific detected hardware problems

Switch the PC off at the mains, open the case and check everything is seated properly

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

If no change, the next thing to do would be a repair install, this will leave data and settings intact

XP Repair

After running the repair it will be necessary to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
And I must do all this... to repair my sound card.

Edited by DOH!, 14 April 2006 - 01:49 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can try re-installing the soundcard drivers but I don't see it helping a blue screen error

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Kieth, I appreciate it man, just really hate to test my patients trying this.

I'll let you know the results. Thanks again.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can run up to chkdsk /f /r, re-install the soundcard drivers and see how it is

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I will keep all the updates/files I have if it fixes it, just as long as I dont run XP repair correct?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Sfc replaces missing files, chkdsk repairs errors in the drive, all settings are retained, even if you do the repair, you keep programmes, data and settings, but would need to run Microsoft Update

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Hey Keith, I dont know if youre still around, probably late where you are. But I don't know my connection speed, is there a tool or website that I can test it, so I can select the right speed?

Edited by DOH!, 14 April 2006 - 01:21 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
google speed test or line speed test and choose one for your location, which is the important part

Advertisements

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Hey, well I have done everything, and it works well now. Thanks for the help again my man, but everytime I reset now, my screen will reset to 800x600 resolution, why is that? Anyway to fix it?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Re-install the video card drivers

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I tried reinstalling my sound card drivers, after I uninstalled them, and it now says that it doesn't recognize the hardware. What to do now masta?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then right click my computer, click properties, hardware, device manager, click + next to sound, video, game controllers, right click the sound card, click remove / uninstall, confirm, click apply, reboot and windows will re-install it as it loads, it may start the new hardware wizard then ask for the drivers

Are you using the most recent ones from the manufacturer's site, if not, you can download and save them to the hard drive, cancel the wizard then double click the downloaded drivers to install

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I did that, but it only shows my onboard sound crap. I had this problem when I reformatted, but someone gave me a link to the newest driver/console thingy, and it worked fine.. Should I just restart, cause I haven't restarted after I uninstalled them, then try to install it?