Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

WinXP Sound help

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until it enters set up, look through the settings to disable onboard sound, press F10 to save, type Y to confirm then press enter

Some soundcard drivers disable the onboard sound when you install them

Advertisements

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
brb, didnt know you replied, let me try.

Edited by DOH!, 14 April 2006 - 03:02 AM.

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Still nothing, am I just screwed?

I was tinkering with TuneUp thing you gave me, and it showed me a link to 64bit XP, which is surprising, cause I have a 64bit asus card, but haven't found anything that was 64 bit compatable :blink: . If I install it, do I have to reformat all over again, or just partition my hard drive? Cause I only have one.. Do I need 2, or can I divide my only one.. :whistling:

Also any more advice on my sound card would be appreciated, thanks for all the help so far though.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What happens when you install the soundcard drivers?

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
It extracts everything, gives you the warning for no background applications, and then wants to go to the install menu, but says it doesnt find a supported product on my computer.. It did this before, till someone here gave me a link to a driver that I already had. I installed the driver I downloaded from the link, and it worked..? Couldn't tell you how, but it installed, and worked, but then I ran into the problem we just fixed...

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Well, I am off to work.

I will report in tonight, to see if you had served up a new remedy for my problem(s).

Also let me know about this -->

Still nothing, am I just screwed?

I was tinkering with TuneUp thing you gave me, and it showed me a link to 64bit XP, which is surprising, cause I have a 64bit asus card, but haven't found anything that was 64 bit compatable :blink: . If I install it, do I have to reformat all over again, or just partition my hard drive? Cause I only have one.. Do I need 2, or can I divide my only one.. :whistling:

Also any more advice on my sound card would be appreciated, thanks for all the help so far though.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
After logging in, click your name then click profile options, find members topics or posts to find the link you had previously

Will get back to you on the rest

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I did that this morning before going to work, was the same driver I had saved to my hard drive, but I downloaded it anyways, and still says the same thing..

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Oh brother where art thou?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you install the soundcard in to another slot

Advertisements

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I hate touching the internals of the computer, what happened to the one its in?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It's a process of elimination at the moment, if you have the correct drivers and all the other files are there, it should work now

The x64 question doesn't apply to your PC

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Why doesn't it apply to my computer?

> Mainboard : ASUSTeK Computer Inc. K8V

> Chipset : VIA K8T800 (VT8383)

> Processor : AMD Athlon 64 3200+ @ 2000 MHz

> Physical Memory : 512 MB (1 x 512 DDR-SDRAM )

> Video Card : Nvidia Corp GeForce FX 5600 [NV31.2]

> Hard Disk : SAMSUNG (80 GB)

> Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professionnal 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2

> DirectX : Version 9.0c (March 2006)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got the X64 version of windows

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Yeah, but it is super buggy, so I just reformated and put pro back on there. Got my sound card to work too, no more wierd noises/blue screens. Thanks, now maybe you can help me in this thread. Thanks again Keith.

http://www.geekstogo...t=0#entry637714