Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVI outputs

• Please log in to reply

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
im looking at getting a new graphics card i am currently looking at the nvidia 6600gt
im on a pretty tight budget at the moment.
my question is if the card only has two DVI outputs can you still run a VGA monitor from it using an adaptor
i no my ati radeon 9550 came with one i have used it before but i was wondering is it ok to use this all the time?
do they come with 1 DVI output and 1 VGA or just two DVI?

thanks for any assistance,
troppo

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah you can get an adapter and they work fine. However i wouldnt get a 6600GT they are still very expensive for what they are, the x700s perform the same if not better and are cheaper usually, you get more choice in PCI-e though which would be a disadvantage for you as AGP doesnt get the same choice of cheap cards.

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
yeah thats what i have found the good olg AGP is getting phased out :whistling:

ive looked at upgrading my motherboard but i cant find a motherboard that supports DDR they all have DDR2 and im not exactly sure if i can afford to get both a new motherboard and a new graphics card aswell as new RAM i have only had this system for a couple of months.

i can get a 6600gt for 144 dollars us ( im from australia ) so its not to bad really
or i can get a x700 for 109

what is the differnce are they really the same card but 1 is cheaper and obviously they are from different companies lol
and what is RAMDAC i saw that the x700 had a RAMDAC speed of 430Mhz
what does that mean the rest that i have seen all have a RAMDAC speed of 400Mhz

do x700's come in an agp version?
thanks troppo

Edited by troppo, 14 April 2006 - 04:41 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Really its just a number that reflects some performanec to most http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAMDAC if you really want to know what it is.

x700s do come is AGP, you might see if you can find a x800GTO its the slowest x800 but its still faster than 6600s and x700s just here they come in roughly the same price so you might be lucky Aus prices are terrible though so youll have to see. The biggest hassle in AGP is getting hold of the newer cards even though they are better and cost the same.

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
yeah i no its so bad here in aus

my system is pretty mid range there is heaps more that i wish i could do with it providing my pocket was as big enough lol
for all of the specs listed below it cost me 1,500 US thats 2000 in AUD everyting was highly over priced but where i live there isnt all that much a choice. you have to pay what they charge or its to bad but this was my first build and i wish i would have come across this site before i did because believe me if i had of known more about pci-express then i would have bought a compatable motherboard

and theres all of these things that just annoy me that i have found out now
like hard drive cache
SATA
pci-express
and the list goes on
and all of that little stuff that gives you a larger performance boost. that when its your first build you just brush over. i have only started to get into computers in the last say 4 months and my knowledge has grown so so fast during that time thanks to this site.

but the next build will be better researched and better thought out.

is the price for a x700 fairly reasonable? $109
or again is that over priced?

thanks for your help,
troppo