Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router keeps dropping ADSL connection - HELP!

• Please log in to reply

Hooky1742

Hooky1742

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi everyone, Im new to this forum but i deperately need help.

Since i got a laptop, i have needed to split the internet connection in our house, so got a Netgear DG834G Wireless router. Set it up OK, and have internet access on both computers in the house now.

The problem is that the router keeps dropping its connection to the internet. The laptop is still (wirelessly) connected to the router, but no internet. It's not a problem with the wireless because the desktop computer in our house is wired to the router and when the router drops its connection there is no internet on the desktop either.

The only way i can regain internet connectivity is to unplug the router and start again. This is incredibly aggravating, as it sometimes happens every 5 or 10 minutes, sometimes even more frequently. Is there some setting or another i can change on either computers or the router (or both) in order to get the router's internet connection stable?

PS: Im not an expert at networking, so please take me through any solutions step by step. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Hooky1742, 14 April 2006 - 05:15 AM.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi Hooky and welcome to GeeksToGo :whistling:

Please goto Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Connections --> Right-click your Connection and select Properties --> Click on the Authentication tab --> Disable / uncheck the option IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network. Restart your computer and then see if you still get disconnected (you may need to do this on both computers).

If the problem persists, when you lose interent activity, can you regain a connection by going to Start --> Run --> type CMD --> press OK. Now type:
  • ipconfig /release -- wait for the connection to release; then
  • ipconfig /renew -- wait for the connection to re-establish, or alternately for an error message to display -- if it is an error message, please post the message.
Please goto Start --> Run --> type EVENTVWR and press OK --> Now, look under the System log for any errors and/or warnings. If you find any, please post the relevant heading, along with the details inside by double clicking on the error/warning, and then copy/pasting the information from within.

Thanks,
Dan.

Hooky1742

Hooky1742

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the reply.

i knew about the ipconfig release/renew commands, they do no re-establish internet connectivity. I have to actually turn the router off and on to get it back again.

I will try your other advice though and post the results. Many thanks.

Edited by Hooky1742, 15 April 2006 - 01:26 AM.

Hooky1742

Hooky1742

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
slight problem. When i go to properties of my wireless connection there is no authentication tab. Only general, wireless networks, and advanced. The authentication tab is there in the properties of my lan connection, but im not using that so i dont see how it would help. Have disabled it anyway though, and on both computers.

Hooky1742

Hooky1742

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry, i was being dense, i have now found the authentication for wireless network, and it was disabled anyway. Always has been by the looks of things.

Hooky1742

Hooky1742

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
there are a few warnings and errors on hte event viewer. Most of them dont seem to be related to the internet, however there are a couple of warnings with the source tcpip which i thought may be relevant. the information inside these logs say this:

TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

The data in this log is as follows (in bytes)

0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 54 00 ......T.
0008: 00 00 00 00 82 10 00 80 ....‚..€
0010: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

I hope that means more to someone on here than it does to me!

Edited by Hooky1742, 15 April 2006 - 02:36 AM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Please download this Patcher (the english version; top link). Run it (choose to increase the limit to 100). Reboot your computer and test your connection.
Do you still experience the disconnects?*NOTE: Ignore any prompts from Windows to insert your Windows XP CD to repair files; this is normal, and is simply letting you know that you have modified a Systems file -- there is no System instability.

Could you list some of the headings of the other errors..? Just to make sure they aren't related :whistling:

Thanks,
Dan.

Hooky1742

Hooky1742

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i have a feeling i may have used that patch a while ago on the desktop to try and make azureus & bitcomet download faster. All of the warnings with tcpip as the source say the same thing. The sources of other errors/warnings are as follows:

Dhcp (error and warning)
sr (error)
MrxSmb (error)
Tcpip (warning)
WinDefend (warning)
Service Control Manager (error)
Print (warning)
BITS (error)
W32Time (warning)
Win32k (warning)
NetBT (error)

Right, that is all the sources of errors. Which ones are relevant, and i can then post details contained in the relevant ones.

Thanks so much for your help!