Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Explorer Must Close

• Please log in to reply

wright3279

wright3279

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
About once or twice a day I get the "Windows Explorer must close message" Event viewer gives "Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module wininet.dll, version 6.0.2900.2861, fault address 0x00003fb8." I can't go back to the original disk and do a repair as it's a Compaq and didn't come with the single XP disk. Is there somewhere I can download that module and would that fix it? Would uninstalling and reinstalling sp 2 help? Otherwise I can live with it.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
this often occurs because a malware program is crashing your user shell (explorer)

did you check for malware

wright3279

wright3279

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
SpyBot, Ad-aware, Windows Defender, Avast, SpyDoctor find nothing.
Only 9 items on HijackThis including Avast(5) and there are 2 dealing with Internet Explorer, 1 with Adobe and 1 with Java. Now the error messages deal with windows explorer not internet explorer.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
i understand that, but since ie is so deeply integrated into windows it can result in these errors

start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Right click application and choose CLEAR ALL EVENTS, do not save the log
Right click system and choose CLEAR ALL EVENTS, do not save the log

Reboot. Work with computer until error recurs. reboot

start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

wright3279

wright3279

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module wininet.dll, version 6.0.2900.2861, fault address 0x00003fb8.

Only error in app.,none in system.

JLWinn

JLWinn

• Pip
  • 8 posts

About once or twice a day I get the "Windows Explorer must close message" Event viewer gives "Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module wininet.dll, version 6.0.2900.2861, fault address 0x00003fb8." I can't go back to the original disk and do a repair as it's a Compaq and didn't come with the single XP disk. Is there somewhere I can download that module and would that fix it? Would uninstalling and reinstalling sp 2 help? Otherwise I can live with it.

Wright3279,
I had the exact same problem. Try this: Here is the workaround i found that worked for me. Go to Control Panel, Internet options. Next, go to Advance Tab. Uncheck "Enable third party browser extension"
Click OK ,restart. good luck this problem can be many things from what i read.

JLWinn

wright3279

wright3279

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I disabled 3rd party entension as suggested but am still getting same crashes of windows explorer as before

JLWinn

JLWinn

• Pip
  • 8 posts

I disabled 3rd party entension as suggested but am still getting same crashes of windows explorer as before

Wright3279:
Sorry this temporary workaround didn't work for you. This is just a workaround however, and not the real solution. I'm plugged into another forum and searching for another solution, because disabling my 3rd party extensions prevents me from using add-on toolbars and browser helper objects. If I find the solution I'll post in this forum. Good luck!

JLWinn

JLWinn

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Wright3279:
Sorry this temporary workaround didn't work for you. This is just a workaround however, and not the real solution. I'm plugged into another forum and searching for another solution, because disabling my 3rd party extensions prevents me from using add-on toolbars and browser helper objects. If I find the solution I'll post in this forum. Good luck!

Wright3279:
I inadvertantly stumbled upon the solution to MY problem. I enabled 3rd Party Extensions again and went into Internet Options - Manage Add-Ons, and disabled the troublesome toolbar (Merriam-Webster On-Line Dictionary/Thesaurus) and the Windows Explorer errors completely went away. Then I went into my Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs and completely removed this toolbar. So, what I am saying is that MAYBE you'll have to manually selectively and diagnostically disable your add-ons, toolbars, browser helper objects, browser extensions and activex controls ONE AT A TIME, until you find the one that is causing your problem. Make sure to enable the ones that are okay. Hope this helps. Good Luck

wright3279

wright3279

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Right now it SEEMS that as long as leave the error message in Event Viewer (App.) that I don't get more crashes. But If I clear them all out and then go to look at a document that I get the "We're sorry ... " message. So I'll leave the error message alone and continue to experiment. It's not that big a problem to warrant a complete reinstall. Thanks

JLWinn

JLWinn

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Right now it SEEMS that as long as leave the error message in Event Viewer (App.) that I don't get more crashes. But If I clear them all out and then go to look at a document that I get the "We're sorry ... " message. So I'll leave the error message alone and continue to experiment. It's not that big a problem to warrant a complete reinstall. Thanks

Wright3279:
I don't see what significance leaving the error message in event viewer would have on the application Windows Explorer. But if it works for you that's all that matters. Good Luck!