Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mozilla Firefox problem - due to upgrade?

• Please log in to reply

manchal

manchal

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hey all, I'm having problems with Firefox at the moment; when I open the browser, it shows the message

"Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at start.mozilla.org.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web."

This happens with all web pages through Firefox, not just the startup page, despite IE functioning as normal. I think this started to happen shortly after I followed the Firefox prompt to upgrade to the latest version;
after realising there was an issue I then tried reinstalling Firefox but the same problem occurs. I shouldn't have any issues with firewalls, as the browser had full permission to access the internet. Any ideas of how I could fix this?

Thanks for checking this out, I really appreciate any help,

Mark

Advertisements

spork2

spork2

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Manchal,

I have the exact same problem. It tried to upgrade an extension, and ever since, it will not connect. I just heard about this Browser, and I like it, but it will not even let me uninstall it. Let me know if you hear anything.

Thanks

manchal

manchal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Been pulling my hair out over this, Spork - but I think I've found the cause of the problem, on my system at least. Even though Firefox is allowed full access through my Zonealarm firewall, it seems that the browser will not work at all while Zonealarm is running. This has only started happening since the 1.5.0.2 upgrade, and even trying to 'remove' firefox from Zonealarm and re-adding it seems to have no effect.

I wouldn't be happy removing the protection that ZA offers for the sake of using Firefox, but even other browsers like Opera that I installed after this problem occurred haven't worked either. Does anyone know how I could regain the compatibility between ZA and Firefox? Would it be a case of removing ZA from my system and reinstalling it - if so, would I lose all the program control settings I had set up (or can these be retained / transferred)?

Apologies for length and girth, chaps :whistling: ~

Mark

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If you uninstall and reinstall ZA you will need to "retrain" its settings. If you have authorized FF thru ZA then you should be able to connect to the internet.

Why don't you uninstall FF, reboot, and reinstall the older version that you were using before without problems? Refuse the next "upgrade". Search the board, too, for FF/ZA issues- I don't think this is the first time incompatibility has been mentioned with that FF update.

Johanna

manchal

manchal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks for the advice Johanna, I tried to find the earlier version of FF on the net but the only downloads available for Windows seem to be 1.5.0.2 now - something to do with a series of critical security holes (otherwise this would have been my gut reaction to the problem).
I guess the problem is really with ZA, if it was being unreponsive to changing the FF settings (or even 'adding' new programs like Opera to the program control).

At the moment my ZA is disabled and FF is working fine, but obv not too chuffed leaving everything (relatively) unprotected. I might just try reinstalling ZA with the newest version; is there any reason this wouldn't be the best course of action?

Mark

(p.s. searching through the boards, I wasn't able to find a solution to the compatibility issue either. I'm not otherwise one to ignore the help of others :whistling:)

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If you decide to uninstall ZA, go OFFLINE, and reboot before you install ZA again. When you are done, make sure you get every update it will give you. I hope you at least enabled your XP firewall while you were browsing unprotected. Allthat said, I don't know if that will help, but it can't hurt to try. You can find older versions of software, even ZA, on the net, but maybe not at the ZA site. That may be your best course of action if you want to keep ZA.

Johanna

Pluto56

Pluto56

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
I get the same error message after I installed the Firefox update about 2 weeks ago. But, at approximately the same time, I also installed ZoneAlarm firewall. Not sure which one is causing it. But, when I click on try again, it always goes through. So not a biggie problem for me.