Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I overclock a Dell or alienware comp?

• Please log in to reply

Master_Axe

Master_Axe

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hi, i was reading along about overclocking, and i cam along this sentence that said one cannopt overclock dell computers... i was wondering if thats true, why, and what about alienware? Are these chips simply already maxed out, or is something locked? :tazz:
One more question: is it possible that i have to press f2 instead of del to enter BIOS?

thx,
franz

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

No you cannot overclock a dell there bios won't allow it, I guess you call it "locked"
The way the cpu cooling in a dell is setup would not allow much of a overclock either.

All brand computer that I know of are this way (bios) so I assume alienware is to.

Rick

Master_Axe

Master_Axe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
ah, ok. I guess that answeres all my questions... here's another one :tazz: :
So the principle of overclocking is just to buy a cheap processor and overclock it. Overclocking can only be done if you build your own computer? So which can be the fastest: An expensive brand computer (alienware) or a self built one?

thx
Franz

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

undefined

Well no not the way I see it, OCing is a hobby it can be fun and rewarding but it can also cost you if you are not carefull. I would not buy a cheaper cpu just to OC I would buy the cpu I need or really want then OC to see how much more I could get out of it. Cpu chips are not created equal some OC better than others even within the same model its the luck of the draw to witch you get. Chips are rated to run at a certain speed but some can do much more.

undefined

Pretty much but I guess technically if you changed mother boards and stock cooling you can then OC because most bios on custom boards allow it.

An expensive brand computer (alienware) or a self built one?

You can build a better, faster computer for about the same or less money as any brand computer, the reason I say better is because you can pick all name brand top of the line parts rather than oem or generic that are found in brand computers.

Building computers ain't all that hard, as long as you do your homework, there are many free online guides and places for help such as Geeks to Go.

Rick

Master_Axe

Master_Axe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
ahhhhhhhh, k. So, at alienware.com i built a computer for 3.400$ that has 3.6ghz 800fsb, 256mb 6800 go geforce, 915P mobo, 1gb DDR2 RAM (4 slots). It's a laptop. could i build that myself?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Sorry I know very little about laptop hardeware they are a lot different than desktops, that is a awfull lot of money for a computer.

Rick

Master_Axe

Master_Axe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
yeah, i assume it is, but i am exploiting the $-€ exchange rate :tazz: I live in europe, and i'd only have to pay 2433.33€ for that same comp :thumbsup:. oh well, you helped anyway, now i know why my bios looks so funny compared to all the descriptions i've gotten so far ;). maybe someday i'll build myself a cheap desktop ^^. How much would a cheap one be if i had absolutely NOTHING (and how much would a tower cost, and does it amtter what tower i have?)? thx
Franz

hrdwrjnkie

hrdwrjnkie

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

yeah, i assume it is, but i am exploiting the $-€ exchange rate :tazz: I live in europe, and i'd only have to pay 2433.33€ for that same comp :cheers:. oh well, you helped anyway, now i know why my bios looks so funny compared to all the descriptions i've gotten so far ;). maybe someday i'll build myself a cheap desktop ^^. How much would a cheap one be if i had absolutely NOTHING (and how much would a tower cost, and does it amtter what tower i have?)? thx
Franz

View Post

Laptops are technically more difficult to build, as finding a suitable base is tough. This article should give some more insight as to why. Don't get me wrong, it is do-able, however you would be far better off to experiment with a less expensive and more rookie-proof desktop build your first time or two around.

To ansewr your second question, I have built bottom-end desktops for as low as a few hundred dollars. If you have no parts already, you are generally better off buying a cheap machine than building one. Emachines and Dell both offer quality low-end systems.

The real bang-for-the-buck when building your own system comes when you get into the higher-end, newer technology machines like ALienware, VoodooPC, Falcon NW, etc. Here a little expertise in matching components and putting things together yourself can make a big difference.

Some companies offer high-end extras that you would be hard-pressed to find yourself, i.e. Falcon Northwest's automotive grade custom paint. However, for the price premium that those systems command, you could build a faster machine yourself for less money, just without the flash.

When push comes to shove, it depends on what you are looking for in a system.

Any more questions don't hesitate to ask. :thumbsup:

Master_Axe

Master_Axe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Well, i'm looking for the ultimate gaming laptop... which brings up another question: I asked my father to take my euros to the US, to exchange them so he could buy the comp, and then a friend of his, whos coming for his 60th b-day, could bring the comp when it arrives a month later >-<. My dad meant i should wait a few months, because the p4 HAS been out now for a long time, with it's ~3.4GHZ processors. So i searched the web and came to a schocking assumption of Intel's, on multiple sites. they await a new processor- Nehalem they call it- to be capable of 10.2 GHZ, with bigger caches, 65nm transisotrs, and a bunch of new stuff etc. Also, in the 2H of 2005 (i believe it's then) they assume that the Prescott will reach 5.2 or .3 GHZ. Is it possible that i could exchange a processor in a laptop? Or do i have to take out the whole motherboard, and how much would it cost?!? thx

Franz

Master_Axe

Master_Axe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Nehalem is 1H 2006:). Anyhow i also wanted to ask if you mean that with a little expertise i should build a comp COMPLETELY by myself, or i should buy one from ex. alienware (which i prefer cuz of its cool design), and exchange only one thing, like a processor or so? thx

Franz

Advertisements

Master_Axe

Master_Axe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Ok, i get why i shouldn't build my own laptop :tazz:. I'll refrain from doing so ^^. Here's another question: Of these three companies that you named: Alienware, VoodooPC, and Falcon NW, which would you prefer for a laptop? I looked through them all, and it seemed to me that Alienware was best, it had all the best of the best! for example, i cant get a laptop with a 256mb graphic card @ voodoo, and the falcon NW laptop costs 5,100$, for no apparent reason. Thx

Franz

Master_Axe

Master_Axe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Yet another post :tazz:. Do you know what the difference between ddr2-533 and ddr2-667 is? And ummm... is RAM the same in laptops as in Desktops (so could i buy desktop ram and put it in a laptop?) Thx

Franz

Master_Axe

Master_Axe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
lol ^^ and another question! i read about new graphic cards for laptops which you can exchange like in desktops... do i need a special mobo for that? thank you once more

Franz :tazz:

hrdwrjnkie

hrdwrjnkie

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
OK, let's see here...

My dad meant i should wait a few months, because the p4 HAS been out now for a long time, with it's ~3.4GHZ processors. So i searched the web and came to a schocking assumption of Intel's, on multiple sites. they await a new processor- Nehalem they call it- to be capable of 10.2 GHZ, with bigger caches, 65nm transisotrs, and a bunch of new stuff etc. Also, in the 2H of 2005 (i believe it's then) they assume that the Prescott will reach 5.2 or .3 GHZ.

If you wait for the next big thing, you will always be waiting for the next big thing. This is just the industry. You can go out and drop every cent you have on a box, and in six months, there will be something better.

Is it possible that i could exchange a processor in a laptop? Or do i have to take out the whole motherboard, and how much would it cost?!?

It is poosible if you upgrade to a processor with the same socket interface, FSB specs, and power requirements (i.e., mobing from a 3.2GHZ Socket T 800MHz FSB Pentium IV to a 3.6GHz with otherwise identical specs). However, buyin a laptop today with the intent of throwing in a Smithfield Dual-Core is not a great idea, as new families of processors will probably use new interfaces and have new bus requirements. The cost of this would be prohibitive, and finding a motherboard that supports the new processor and fits in your lappy would be near impossible.

Anyhow i also wanted to ask if you mean that with a little expertise i should build a comp COMPLETELY by myself, or i should buy one from ex. alienware (which i prefer cuz of its cool design), and exchange only one thing, like a processor or so?

Your best bet is to got completely one way or the other. The big advantage of a pre-built desktop is the warranty, of which Alienware has on of the best in the biz. However, pulling the stock CPU would void that warranty in a heartbeat. Also, you are then paying a premium (prebuilt) price for that processor, then throwing it away to install a newer, more expensive processor. Upgrading down the road (after warranty term) is always viable in a desktop, but buying a prebuilt with the intent of swapping the processor is not a sound financial idea.

Of these three companies that you named: Alienware, VoodooPC, and Falcon NW, which would you prefer for a laptop? I looked through them all, and it seemed to me that Alienware was best, it had all the best of the best! for example, i cant get a laptop with a 256mb graphic card @ voodoo, and the falcon NW laptop costs 5,100$, for no apparent reason.

Well, the Falcon NW costs $5100 because it is a Falcon NW. The best bang for your buck in a high-end laptop, IMHO, is the Dell XPS 2. They are price comparable with the Alienwares, actually a few hundred cheaper, have just as solid a warranty (which may be difficult for you to work with overseas, not sure how that works) and use the Pentium M Dothan Core processors. These processors use less power, produce less heat, and perform as good as the high-end P4's in my experience. I have actually built several desktop rigs around these chips for those that require a silent solution on the desktop. The Dell will also be slightly more portable than the Alienware (I have handled bith of these machines personally, and neither one is truly 'portable,' they are both bricks :tazz:)
Here is the Dell that I speak of
Here is the Alienware that I speak of

Do you know what the difference between ddr2-533 and ddr2-667 is? And ummm... is RAM the same in laptops as in Desktops (so could i buy desktop ram and put it in a laptop?

The difference is the speed they are rated to run at, and which you need will be determined by your processor. And no, they are not the same and are not interchangable between desktops and laptops.

i read about new graphic cards for laptops which you can exchange like in desktops... do i need a special mobo for that?

IIRC, and I may be wrong here, Alienware is the only company that offers that.I cannot find anything on their website regarding this, so maybe they do not anymore. If I remember from when they did, it was quite a process. You had to send in your laptop, purchase the new graphics card, pay for installation, and they would ship it back. Dang, I wish I could find that link for that program :mad:

I hope that I have given you some good info to go on, any other questions, fire away!

Master_Axe

Master_Axe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Yeah, you have helped me, thank you :tazz:. I really appreciate you writing me! thx. I have decided, after thinking it through, that I'll just wait for a 512mb video card, and a new i945 mobo, for which dualcore should work, and ddr2-667. I found out that the motherboard will be available around 2Q 2005 (march or may) and the video card in late march or may(i forget which). Of course, i have no idea what the delay is from desktop to laptop -.- Also, i think around that same time the new P4 6xx are coming out, which have 2mb l2 cache and 64 bit, or at least the 660 has. Are the desktop processors used in laptops? And if the new mobo comes out, and it is capable of supporting the smithfield, will it also be able to hold the P4, and could i thenk change from p4 to smithfield? thx

Anyhow, you said you'd rather get that dell. It cost about 100$ or 200$ less, but has 1.5 GHZ less and 533 instead of 800FSB. It also has ddr1 ram (older mobo). the alienware has the new i915, which supports PCIe and ddr2-533. And about being portable: It just needs to be able to be transported, i'd never use it on battery power.

And whats so special about falcon NW? Thx Thx,

Franz