Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uninstalling IE7

• Please log in to reply

matt_h

matt_h

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ok, I find McAffee doesnt work and that I have to uninstall IE7.
I do what you're meant to do (A/R Programs, Show Upadates etc), when it starts, it tells me that some programs were installed after IE7. This were some Microsoft, Media Player and Adobe Reader updates. I click continue as I thought I wouldnt matter. Anyway, everything goes fine but at the end of installation I get a Blue Screen Crash and my laptop restarts. The Blue Screen didnt say much. When the reboot is done, it says system has recovered from serious error, send report to Microsoft. I have the Internet on, Firefox running but when I try to send it says I'm not connected (people get a similar thing with Windows Media Player) meaning I cant send the report.

I remove all the said updates and try again. It moans about msfeeds.dll, so I download a new copy and try again only to get a Blue Screen Crash again. I cannot reinstall IE6 or IE7. IE is currently a mix between the two. I emailed the IE team 3 weeks ago and they havent replied (other than the auto-reply) and last week I sent a follow-up email asking them if they had done anything, I got nothing back.
So, has anyone else experienced this, or know what to do??? I think I may have to manually uninstall IE7, ie. delete and/or replace individual files. Please help me!

I have .txt copies of the uninstallations and a hijack-this log reports that you can download

Attached Files

Edited by matt_h, 14 April 2006 - 07:37 AM.

Advertisements

matt_h

matt_h

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
cant anyone even tell me if the attachments say anything that will help

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello and welcome to geekstogo,
i know very little along the lines of IE7 as it shouldn't be installed by just anyone. From my knowledge it should only installed by experts. From what i can see it seems that the log want you to change users and go to the user that had installed it. To get to add/remove programs, you can check if its there....do the following, start->control panel->add remove programs-> click on what you want to uninstall then clickt he remove button.
Sry but i can't help any more then this, if you are suspecting that malware may be at work you can also try the malware forum.
thanx
James

matt_h

matt_h

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
the problem is that i get curious and cant help my self, next thing i know i have got ie7. and my pc only has one user... so can anyone help me at all?

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Look im running firefox 1.5.0.2 and IE7 beta2 and as far as ive seen i havent had a problem whatsoever though i use Zonealarm security suite and not mcafee. Are you sure thats the prob with mcafee? and im not sure if this will work but try to use an uninstall program or system restore, that should do the trick i guess.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
http://msdn.microsof...es/default.aspx by the way this might help you. (scroll to the paragraph titled "Uninstalling Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 before reinstalling Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2" just dont reinstall it :whistling: :blink:

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
OK just tell me if it worked please

matt_h

matt_h

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
it was the mcafee support team that told to unintsall ie7.
i dont really want to do system restore in case it causes problems.
which is the best installer to use?

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
I GOT IT! (i guess) how long have you had ie7?? because if you changed your username in that period of time then switch it back and then try uninstalling it, if this is not the case then run %windir%\$NtUninstallie7bet2p$\spuninst\spuninst.exe and make sure you have "show hidden files and folders" checked in folder options. In the worst case open regedit and go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer . Right click on Internet Explorer > New String Value > Name that value
InstalledByUser (the value of the new String should be your User Account
name) > Uninstall IE7 via Add/Remove Programs.
:whistling: :blink:

Edited by -OCM770-, 29 April 2006 - 07:23 AM.

matt_h

matt_h

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
i have never changed my username.
i dont really want to go into the registry
i'll try the spunist later

are there any risks at all with system restore?
and can anyone tell me why my pc crashed or if i have spyware type stuff (see attachments in first post)

Edited by matt_h, 30 April 2006 - 07:17 AM.

Advertisements

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
How long ago did you install IE7? do system restore to the date before installation. IE7 automatically makes a system restore point. NOTE** all files that you got after system restore might be deleted and also your settings. Almost everything will turn like it was before installing IE7. theres no real risk. but if you do it correctly, theres no risk editing the registry either.

matt_h

matt_h

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
the issue i have with system restore is one of the replies i got when i put this post on the microsoft community forums:

http://www.microsoft...c4-d13f911d3983

a guy says that he had to reformat his pc after doing system restore to try and fix a similar problem.

after the restore, are you able to say go back to the settings before the restore? if so, wont there be a problem with .ddl files and registry stuff being deleted.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Hi again and sorry for the time i took to answer your question i had some problems with my geekstogo account. Anyway yes there is a way to revert your system restore and no it should not cause any problems and if by any case it does and you cant revert the changes which would be extremley rare then just boot into "Start windows last time it worked correctly" in the boot menu of windows XP.

matt_h

matt_h

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
ok, thanks, i'll tell you how it turns out, though i do have some other suggestions from other forums i may try first, such as unintsallting it in safe mode, which i doubt will work but i might as well try it.

-OCM770-

-OCM770-

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
Sure no problem just please reply we do like to get an answer even if it did or did not work please

-OCM770- your :whistling: welcome