Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Question about replacing cpu and power supply ?

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi all,,
Got a few questions about upgrading my pc.

I have a decent, powerful laptop for all my high end music production software ect,, so my old desktop is only used for domestic stuff.
Now,,, My CPU is only 1.4ghz, on a gigabyte 8TX motherboard, slow and old by anyones standards, but is enough for what i use the computer for, (internet,music files, etc,,,).
The cpu is a socket 423,, and looking around on ebay, there are a few 1.7 ghz, and the occassional 2.0ghz cpu,s on socket 423,, going very , very cheaply.
Question is,,, if i was to get hold of one of these slightly faster cpu,s,, is it just a straight swap ??
ie/ swap it over like a memory stick or pci card,, with no problems once you reboot ?? or is there gonna be problems ????
Other question is,,,, i think my power supply is a 300 watt,,, Should i replace it with another more powerful one as i have quite a lot of stuff on my pc now,, ie/,,,

2 X cd roms
2 X Harddrives
1 x floppy drive
Tv card,,( connected to VCR and sky digibox )
Audigy 2 zs soundcard
Fx 5500 graphics ( 256 mb)
Wireless network card
extra usb ports ( all used )

I use the cpmputer for mainly internet and email, but also have all my music files on one of the drives, and have recently added a tv card for watching live tv, and editing of old videos,,,

Havent noticed any particulary high drain on the cpu,, and for once,, all is well with my pc,, havent had a single problem at all,, for many, many months,,, :whistling:
However,, i have a feeling that maybe the tv picture could be slightly better , with a faster cpu,,, if its gonna go in a straight swap for my old 1.4ghz,, then its not going to improve things dramatically,, but its certainly not going to do any harm,,,

Would just like some advice on these few questions,,,
I keep meaning to get a more modern motherboard, and newre cpu,, but just havent got round to it, probably will next yr,, but for now,, these small upgrades will do,,, if needed !!!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

Question is,,, if i was to get hold of one of these slightly faster cpu,s,, is it just a straight swap ??
ie/ swap it over like a memory stick or pci card,, with no problems once you reboot ?? or is there gonna be problems ????

i would check on the motherboard's manufacturer's website just to be sure what processors are compatible with the board (some boards have a limit) but generally as long as it's the same socket it SHOULD work...you may need to do a bios update to have it recognize the PROC correctly

Other question is,,,, i think my power supply is a 300 watt,,, Should i replace it with another more powerful one as i have quite a lot of stuff on my pc now,, ie/,,,

300 watt is usually ok for most small things...but is that the peak output? probably not...now adays a 400 to 500 watt PSU is assumed to be the best options especially when adding more hardware...if you are having power issues right now...go ahead and get a bigger psu...but if you're not....don't fix what aint broke...unless you just wanna be sure that you don't undervolt anything..then go for a 400 or 450 of good quality...especially if you plan on OCing the new proc or adding more hardware

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
http://www.gigabyte....ductName=GA-8TX in fact there's the GA-8TX supported PROC list...says up to a 2Ghz p4 on socket 423 with a 400 FSB

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi,,
Thanks for that,, i was just looking for that link,,,,
Brilliant,, so it will support up to a 2.0ghz processor,, but may possibly need a bios update ?

So,,, is it just a case of taking out the old processor,, slotting in the new one, and
updating the bios,,, ?? neither of which i have done before !!

Am fine pulling and replacing memory and pci cards etc,,, is it any more difficult doing the cpu swap ?
How exactly do you update the bios ?? is there any problems asscoiated with this ( you hear some horrific horror storys about people messing with the bios !!)

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
There is always an element of risk when you flash the bios. The best thing to do is follow the motherboard manufacturers instructions to the letter. I have flashed bios on different computers without problems but I made sure I did it exactly as specified by the manufacturer. I have upgraded cpu's a couple of times without any problem. The worst thing I ever had happen to me was forgetting to change jumper settings one time when I upgraded an old 75Mhz P1 to 133Mhz.

I recently upgraded a HP 450 Mhz slot 1 PIII from 450 Mhz to 1.2 Ghz. HP told me that the maximum I could upgrade to was 800 Mhz. I found out about PowerLeap ( http://www.powerleap.com/PL-iP3T.jsp ), ran their upgrade configurator and it said their 1.2 Ghz would work. I didn't have to flash the bios. You may not need to either. I did find that the 100 watt power supply that came with the HP was not adequate. You can check out the sticky posts at the top of http://www.hardforum...isplay.php?f=93
They have some power supply calculators that will help you figure out if yours is adequate.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi there,,
Have been doing a bit more searching and discovered that there is an
updated bios for my motherboard, dated june 2002.

My bios is dated march 2001,, so this is a newer bios.
wether or not i need it is another matter,, prefer to leave well alone if possible.
Have downloaded and saved the update, should i need it.

Tried one of the power supply calculaters, and i have about 40 watts overhead, so
no need for a new power supply, and as said earlier,,, if it aint bust,, leave it alone,,, fair point :whistling: .

Have emailed gigabyte, asking them if these socket 423 1.7 and 2.0 ghz processors are supported on the 8TX board, but wouldnt expect a return email from them anytime soon,,, if at all.
Would seriously like to know though,,,
Am gonna get one of the cpu,s as they are going very cheaply on ebay at the moment,, cant do any harm,,,and if the bios needs flashing,,, then it needs flashing,,, hope not though.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
I agree, if the power supply is adequate, leave well enough alone. I have two systems with Gigabyte boards. I have contacted their tech support and actually received replies, usually within 24 hours.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Really,,,, theres one for the books !!!
Hope i get as speedy a reply, as there is only a few days left
on one of the items i am looking at on ebay.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
I am so impatient,,,,
I have gone and bought the 2.0ghz processor,,having a leap of faith
and hoping that its gonna go in smoothly with no need to flash the bios.
If i have to flash the bios,, i will,,, live in hope.
cheers,,, kev.