Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem w/ 2nd hard drive in XP

• Please log in to reply

tstar1962

tstar1962

• Pip
  • 1 posts
When operating Windows 2000, I had 2 hardives, a C and D. The D drive was a Maxtor 6L040J2. I reformatted the C drive and had WIndows XP installed. I did not reformat the D drive. Now I cannot access anything in the 2nd drive. The Disk Management had the yellow caution next to Disk 1, but the Device Manger, whcih recognizes the Maxtor, says it is working properly. I tried updating the driver, but it says there is no update to theone installed. What do I need to do to access this drive? THANKS

Advertisements

paddyt

paddyt

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hi,

I'd try 2 things, see if you can right click the disk in disk management and reactivate, if you can't then check on maxtor's website to see if there is a disk check utility (most manufacturers have one) and run that, this disk may just be faulty.

Paddy