Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

bios recognizes HDD, but XP won't load

• Please log in to reply

richfloyd

richfloyd

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Here's hoping someone can help guide me through some options to fix this problem. I replaced the motherboard and processor in my computer, going from a 428 socket to a 755 socket. Mmotherboard is a P4MBMS (LGA775). On booting up, the bios POST seems to go into a loop which offers various start up options from safe mode, normal, last config, etc. When selecting normal, I get a dim flash of the Windows XP opening screen, and then it goes back to restarting up the bios again. This happens regardless of which start up mode is selected. I am able to enter the bios settings, and see that the HDD, FDD, CD, and DVD drives are recognized. The HDD jumper has been tried in both the cable direct, and master modes. IDE cables are correctly plugged into the motherboard, with the HDD in IDE-1, and the CD & DVD drives in IDE-2. Thanks.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome go Geeks to Go. I suggest stripping it down to just the barebones essential components. Here is an excellent guide (credit The Elder Geek) http://www.theelderg...nstallation.htm
See if you can get windows loaded with just the specified components. Once you have it loaded, you can add the rest, one component at a time.

Edited by austin_o, 14 April 2006 - 10:16 AM.

richfloyd

richfloyd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Austin, thanks for the kind welcome to Geeks to Go. I will give the bare bones troubleshooting process a try, and get back soon in a follow up psot with the results. One concern is that the computer came pre-loaded with XP installed, and I don't know if a recovery disk was ever made. I was told by the genius sales staff at the retail outlet that once the new motherboard and processor were in place, XP should boot right up. Oh well.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
just as a note here....XP is VERY directly tied to the hardware platform that it's installed on (i.e. motherboard)...if that platform is changed to something different (you could get by with THE EXACT SAME MOTHERBOARD)...then XP will not boot...there are generally two options here...option number one is IMMEDIATELY preforming a repair install before first boot....the other optioin is to format and start over...

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
What happened to the original motherboard and CPU? Did they die or are you just upgrading? Replacing a motherboard and cpu is not usually just plug and play (The Eldergeek has an excellent guide on that too, and I suggest you read that before doing anything else, even the barebones troubleshooting). See http://www.theelderg...motherboard.htm (Credit TheEldergeek). I would suggest getting a bootable windows install cd because you will probably need it.

richfloyd

richfloyd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I was going to test out what I thought was a failing HDD from my other computer in this one, but never got that far. When trying to remove the heat sink fan to allow for room to insert the HDD, the heaksink came off along with pulling out the processor and damaging one of the pins on the 478 processor. I couldn't find a 478 processor locally at the computer stores, so left with this mess, I simply decided to replace the motherboard and processor with a newer 755 set up. what do they say..."one thing leads to another"...

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
What brand of computer do you have? You said it came with Windows pre-installed. Have you contacted the manufacturer and asked for a windows install cd or a system recovery cd? A system with windows pre-installed should come with OEM version of windows with a license key. You will no doubt need a windows cd to get through this.

richfloyd

richfloyd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The computer is a Compaq Presario model S6100NX that was purchased to keep the wife and 12 year old from messing up mine. Not it seems as if I've messed up theirs. Anyway the old motherboard's damaged processor operated at 2.8 GHz, so I didn't think replacing it with a 3.06 woould be a big deal. I guess the next step is to contact compaq and obtain a windows install cd or system recovery cd. Let me know if you can think of any other items to look for in the bios which make be impacting the ability of XP to load. Thanks.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
It is HP aka Compaq. Call them at 1-888-999-4747. Push them real hard for an OEM windows install cd. You may have to settle for a "recover cd" but I wouldn't do that without swallowing real hard....
The guide at TheElderGeek for replaceing the motherboard is pretty thorough, and once you have that necessary tool from Compaq, you are on your way.

richfloyd

richfloyd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks Austin....I'm on the phone now with HP / Compaq, and the tecnhical helper confirms that you are right that a recovery cd will not do the trick with a new motherboard installed. So I am pushing them for an install cd. He is not sure if they can provide one. I may get redirected to Microsoft....what joy. In fact I did get told to contact microsoft to obatin the install cd. Maybe I should consider scrapping the whole idea and look for a deal on a new desk top..., but I do love a good challenge.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hang in there man! Good challenge indeed. It seems reasonable to me that when a computer is sold with OS installed and an OEM license, you are entitled to the OEM software on a CD. Sad but many manufacturers are taking this "restore cd" approach, like HP/Compaq, Dell.