Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

secure chat

• Please log in to reply

ProwlingTiger_11

ProwlingTiger_11

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Some buisness partners and I wish to create a highly secure chatroom that no person would be able to find. Would it be possible to make such a chat that requires a password to display the chatbox, then a sigh-in box? I want to be able to haev full control over the user names and passwords. I have a hidden link for the future chatroom on another website but i dont know where i can store the chat itself...any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

ProwlingTiger_11

Advertisements

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
Hi

I know next to nothing about chat. have you thought about a VPN, or a secure website, or secure email?

I guess i just dont get chat :whistling:

best regards,

EMCguy

ProwlingTiger_11

ProwlingTiger_11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I can do the chat part. Its just securing the chat within a website...

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
Could you just make the website secure, requiring secure password login procedures, and dedicated primarily to hosting the chat. I would think that would be fairly secure. Of course nothing is perfectly secure, so youd still need to chat in code. :whistling:

ProwlingTiger_11

ProwlingTiger_11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
That would work but I kinda want the website to act as a front, hiding the chat within it.

TDXkev

TDXkev

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Why re-invent the wheel? I'm sure you can do this with a number of messaging programs out there right now (like AIM).

ProwlingTiger_11

ProwlingTiger_11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
People know about messaging programs; I want something people will never know about.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
wouldn't there be some sort of direct line video conferencing software out there? i've never used one but it would make more sense wouldn't it?

Edited by sarahw, 15 April 2006 - 07:35 PM.

ProwlingTiger_11

ProwlingTiger_11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hey i didnt say we had a lot of money! Well I can get any software I want but want chat that way anyone we wish to converse with could.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP

People know about messaging programs; I want something people will never know about.

If you are looking for something free that is publicly available, whats the difference? You are going to get something that everyone knows about anyways.

Again, why re-invent the wheel? Set up a channel on an irc network (we use wyldryde) and set up a password protected channel. That way, anyone can see it, but only those with the password can enter.

There are many ways to do what you want, you are just overcomplicating it.

ProwlingTiger_11

ProwlingTiger_11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
First off, if you hide a chat client within a directory in the FTP space of a website, nobody will know its there. Second thing, not anyone would be able to see it unless they hack into the directory of a website.

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts

Again, why re-invent the wheel? Set up a channel on an irc network (we use wyldryde) and set up a password protected channel. That way, anyone can see it, but only those with the password can enter.

you can also set the channel so that it does not appear in /list and /whois results, making it look like the channel is not there

ProwlingTiger_11

ProwlingTiger_11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hmm ok well what software or website shall i use? Also do you have any experience with forums?

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
we use wyldryde. Their website can be found at http://www.wyldryde.org
instructions for setting up a channel can be found at http://www.wyldryde....hat/getchat.php

for an IRC client, I use mIRC, found at http://www.mirc.com

I do have some forum experience, but I'm not sure I could help without knowing which forum software you're using.

-Ryan

ProwlingTiger_11

ProwlingTiger_11

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I prefer phpBB but I use forum hosts like Invison free or iForumer. Do you know anyone that would be interested or would you be able to help? Mainly I need help building the forum on a theme and getting more members.