Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Starts in PC power save mode

• Please log in to reply

craiger57

craiger57

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just installed Magellan GPS Mapsend software (no reboot required) and attached the GPS unit to a USB port to download map files. I noticed the screen froze and I could not ctrl-alt-del so shut down with power button. When attempting to turn back on the monitor comes on within a few seconds and a message immediately comes up that the PC is going into power save mode. The monitor goes blank (sleeping) and power stays on (several LED's noted). I have unplugged all USB devises, made sure no media is installed in any drives. I did notice the CPU cooling fan seems to be noisy as if it's running double speed. I can't F1 into Bios. The hard drive seems to be running. I have switched off the power strip for several minutes and back on to no availe.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
why can't you f1 into bios....if you have a newer multimedia keyboard, make sure that the f-lock or function lock key is toggled.

See if you have a power management setting in bios you can turn off.

craiger57

craiger57

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I plugged in the original keyboard with seperate F keys and it had no effect. The power save message is present as soon as the monitor screen displays.