Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Virus Alert!

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Okay. Last night my computer went nuts. I found this thing called SpywareQuake. Popups swarmed to my desktop (I've never had a problem with them before, and when I say never had a problem, I mean never had one before). Two new icons popped up in the system tray. And the computer slowed to a crawl. In an attempt at fixing it, I removed SpywareQuake using your instructions (or removed to the best of my knowledge, I'm currently running the Panda scan as I type). The popups have disappeared. One of the two icons are gone, and the speed is back to normal. The second remaining icon is what worries me. It's a flashing icon that flashes from a green wheelchair to a red circle with a strike through it. When you hold the mouse over it it reads "Virus Alert!" and when you click on it, a red bordered window pops up and reads: "Your computer is infected! Critical System Error! System detected virus activities. They may cause critical system failure. Please, use antimalware to clean and protect your system from parasite programs. Click to here get all available software." Upon clicking here, I'm redirected to SpywareQuake's website. The Panda scan hasn't finished yet, and doesn't look like it will for a while, so I'm going to post this now in an attempt to see if there's an easier solution that doesn't require any info.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Hi Nevada:

You will get a better response to a malware problem by posting in that section of the forum:

Malware Removal

Please follow the instructions there and someone will get to you as soon as possible. It is a very busy section so please be patient.

Be sure to read:

1) How-to remove malware guides and tutorials

2) Topic has attachmentsYou Must Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log

Good luck.