Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen Error

• Please log in to reply

crouchij

crouchij

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I started recieving a blue screen error about 4 days ago on my desktop. The blue screen error reads, "irql not less or equal." The blue screen shows up when I am playing a game and I push the windows key (the key next to alt and option) to minimize the screen. I realize that this may be putting unecessary stress on my system but it has never been a problem before. I have spent the last 4 days on the phone with Dell. I have formatted and reinstalled Windows 5 times with the same result. At first Dell was telling me that it was a software issue. Then, a different Dell agent told me that it was definitely hardware. My hardware passes the Dell 32 bit diagnostics test every time. Nontheless, Dell has agreed to come out and replace my motherboard and ram. I am pretty sure that it isn't a software problem because it has happened with different games. All of my drivers are up to date and I have all of my Windows update. Is it normal to get a blue screen when playing a game and pushing the Windows icon key to minimize it? Does this put too much stress on my system? Is that a reason to get a blue screen? Here are my specs:

Dell XPS 400
Windows Media Center Edition
Pentium D Processor 3.0 Ghz
2 GB of RAM

Any help would be much appreciated! I am very stressed out about this problem. Like I said before, pushing the Windows key on my keyboard has never been a problem and now pushing that key during a game gives me the above blue screen.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Might be bad RAM. Try http://www.memtest86.com to see if you get errors.

crouchij

crouchij

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I ran the memory test and everything passed. Could it be my system board? I am having the system board and memory replaced on Monday...do you think that will fix my problem...I guess it's kinda of like getting a new computer.

Edited by crouchij, 15 April 2006 - 07:31 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
If the memory diagnostic was fine, then it may be the video card thats the problem.

See what happens after they replace the motherboard & ram though. If the problem persists after that, then I would suspect the video card may be the cause. Let us know what happens

crouchij

crouchij

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I did some more troubleshooting before Dell came out to replace my motherboard and memory and I discovered that I didn't have an up-to-date driver for my video card...I'm an idiot. So, I ended up cancelling the service call.

I have a question:

Where would I find the most recent driver for my video card? I have a Nvidia GeForce 6800 (256 MB). I looked on Nvidia's website and it seemed too confusing.

Edited by crouchij, 19 April 2006 - 09:19 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Here: http://www.nvidia.co...p_2k_84.21.html

crouchij

crouchij

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
So, it would be ok to download it? I am just scared of getting a blue screen error again...sorry. Blue screen errors make me sick...

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Yes, that is the most recent (non-beta) version available.

crouchij

crouchij

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I read the instructions for installing the update for my video card and it says to uninstall my current "Nividia Display Drivers" from Add or Remove Programs.

When I went to uninstall this, I restarted my computer and my monitor stopped functioning after the restart...my screen was black when it loaded back into windows. I had to do a system restore in safe mode to get my screen back.

Is it absolutely critical to uninstall my previous Nvidia drivers before installing the above update?