Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hp 743, no system sounds, with SB live audio card

• Please log in to reply

Darlena

Darlena

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi There,

Here i go trying to fix someone's else computer again. It's an Hp 743 Windows 98 Se. They removed the original audio/modem card. They replaced it with a Sound Blaster Live card. The cd play works but the OS has no sounds at all now! I disabled the original sound card but still have no sound. I'm not sure if it's a hardware conflict or software or driver or just not compatable sound card. Any suggestion? Thanks.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Darlena...

Open Control Panel and double click the "Sounds" icon. From the "Schemes" dropdown menu, make sure Windows Default is selected.

Let me know what you find.

wannabe1

Darlena

Darlena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi Wannabe1,

i've tried that and the schemes shows windows default but the window above it (sounds) is greyed out and says "none". Does that mean anything?

Darlena

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Stupid question but was the sound blaster drivers loaded into the computer? Have you gone into the sounds folder and tried double clicking a sound file? It may be that you don't have the SB set to play wav files. Does it say sound blaster in the sounds icon in device manager?

SRX660

Darlena

Darlena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Not a stupid question because the drivers were not loaded when I got it. It would try to install a new device everytime I booted it up. But I have the drivers loaded now as it will play a music cd and it no longer shows conflicts in the hardware manager but I do not get any sound previews in the sound files.
How would I set the SB to play wav files? Yes it says SB Live in the device manager. Should I try to uninstall/reinstall SB card? Also I just realized there is no volume icon in the task bar, and when I try to add it it insists I have to reinstall it from add/revome programs, but when I try that it wants the Windows SE 98 disk to install it from. Well, I don't have the disk as this is not my computer, but I have contacted the person I'm fixing this for and they do have the disk but they are out of town for the weekend so I can't get it till Monday. Could this be the real problem?

Darlena

PS Well i fixed the problem with the volume and the pc speaker was muted. I thought that was going to fix things but guess what, still no sound although everything else appears to be working.
I installed a newer version of WMP just for the heck of it. it appears to be playing but of course there is no sound. However a cd played with the Creative SB player does have sound!
How can this be?

Edited by Darlena, 15 April 2006 - 08:09 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I had a old sound blaster 16 in a computer that when the audio cable was connected from the sound card to the cdrom drive no sounds would play. When i disconnected the cable then windows sounds would play. You might try this to see if that is the problem. If you can hear sounds with the cdrom drive the soundblaster card is working. Somewhere you have a setting off to cause the sounds not to play. In your start menu/programs do you have a creative icon? Go to sound blaster live!, then creative audio HQ. Click on the speaker icon in that window and see what the settings are. You can check and test the sound card there. The only thing i have checked there is CD digital and microphone.

SRX660

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Hi Wannabe1,
i've tried that and the schemes shows windows default but the window above it (sounds) is greyed out and says "none". Does that mean anything?

Darlena

Just my two cents worth, but have you confirmed that the sound themes are installed? If grayed out, they may have been removed accidently when sound card was removed originally.

Ron

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try this registry tweak. Set a Restore Point before doing this (always before shanging anything in the registry).

Download the attached file and extract it to your desktop. Right click on the extracted file and select "Merge"...accept the change. Reboot.

Does this get the system sounds going?

wannabe1

Attached Files

Darlena

Darlena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Couldnot unzip file (syssound). Downloaded winzip and then tried to run it. When I tried to merge I got this message..

Registry editor:cannot import C;Windows\Desktop\syssoud.reg. The specified file is not a registry script. You can import only registry files.

What does this mean?

Also I just noticed in the device mamager under sounds I only have the SB live, shouldn't I have other items there, like audio codecs and such?

Also tried disconnecting the audio cable fron the sound card, that didn't work either.
How do I confirm that the sound themes are installed? I go to sounds, and try to play the different sound themes but just like in WMP they act like there working but still no real sound.

Edited by Darlena, 16 April 2006 - 01:22 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is the Windows Audio Service Started? Click Start, then Run, type services.msc, and click "Ok". Scroll down the list to "Winndows Audio Service". Is it started?

Edited by wannabe1, 16 April 2006 - 01:35 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This puteri'm running has audio codecs, creative SB live! series, creative game port, legacy audio drivers, media control devices, and video codecs. Did you get a drivers CD with your sound blaster live sound card? This really sounds like the SB drivers are not loaded to the computer. Perhaps the on-board sound has not been disabled in the bios.

SRX660

Darlena

Darlena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Sorry forgot to tell you, Cannot get to services.msc, message reads "cannot find the file (services.msc or one of it's componentsis missing} make sure the path and file name are correct and that all required libraries are available.

No SB cd , this os was just given to me to fix, notthing supplied to help., but I've check and find no onboard audio to disable.

Guess what, just remenbered I have a SB Live cd from my dell--Duh!!! Let you know as soonn as i install it how it goes. I'd cross my fingers and my toes--if I could. Later!!

I can't believe I now have sound! But ... I also have a new problem, now the cd rom will play audio and vidio cd's but it can't open data cds, just locks up!! (it was working before I install the SB live cd.)

I'm about ready for HP stew.

darlena

Edited by Darlena, 17 April 2006 - 09:29 PM.