Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox Update Causing XP to Suffer?

• Please log in to reply

newzace

newzace

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Greetings, hopefully you can help with this matter. Last night (April 13) the Firefox update v. 1.5.0.2 was automatically downloaded onto my computer and installed. Firefox recommends that you restart the browser to complete the process. After restarting, an error message appeared stating that the install could not be completed. The updated Firefox was eventually installed, but this problem seems to have affected my Spy Sweeper (It won't run), and I cannot access any programs from the start menu. My assumption is that there was some type of virus or something involved in the download because the Spy Sweeper no longer works. I am running Windows XP and I have plenty of hard drive space, etc. This problem (not being able to access any programs from the start menu) began only after the Firefox update installed. I am hesitant to uninstall Firefox because I do not want to lose any of my bookmarks, etc. Please help and thank you for your time.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Hi:

Save your Firefox bookmarks into a folder of your choosing. Select Bookmarks>Manage Bookmarks. From the File menu select Export and export them to the folder you picked out. The uninstall FF from Control Panel's Add/Remove Utility and see if that helps clear up the problem.

Once FF is reinstalled, go through same steps for Bookmarks except select Import from the File menu. Browse to folder where you exported them and click on the file.

Ron

newzace

newzace

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I uninstalled and installed Firefox as you suggested, this did not solve the problem. After the initial posting, I looked at the programs again. Rather than double-clicking to open a program (which does not work), I ca open some of the program by right clicking on a program to get the menu propmt "open." This doesn't work on all of the programs, Windows Update for example, and the spy sweeper still does not work. My PC-cillin has always worked, and a virus scan and spyware scan came up negative on both counts.

newzace

newzace

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
As an addendum to the last post, I did a system restore to a point before the Firefox update downloaded. That seems to have done the trick, I can access programs by "double clicking," and it appears I can access all of ,y programs again.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Hi:

Thank you for letting us know. I also did the FF update, but without any problems to my PC. Glad you got it working the way you wanted.

Ron