Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Problem

• Please log in to reply

slipperyfox

slipperyfox

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have fixed a mates computer and now ran into some problems. I have installed a clean install of Windows XP SP2 and everytime i surf the net on certain pages it seems to lock the system up. I dont get any error messages just cant do anything but push the reset button. This doesnt happen at any other time while on the computer only when surfing the net. one web page i now it happens on all the time is www.binternet.com.au which is his home page. I have downloaded IE7 and installed it and still does it and also tried firefox as well and does the same thing. I have tried also 2 different modems thinking that could be the cause to no avial, where can i go from here this has me really stumped. I also have upgraded the bios as well. I have installed also Macromedia flash manually and also have SunJava installed

The system is a 677MHz slot 1 with 512 EDO ram on a PCPartner BXAS1-C928 board.
Can someone please help out. I am about to try a clean install of ME but he would prefer to run XP
Thanks
:whistling:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
well, I can tell you it is not on the HCL for windows xp...that said, I've run intel 440bx based motherboards with xp with no issue.

Given the information, my first inclination is ram....did you do a memtest on it?

http://www.memtest.org/

slipperyfox

slipperyfox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the reply gerryf
I downloaded the program and ran it and is a bit above me without reading up on it but the results were as follows Cached 512m RsvdMem 64k MemMap e820-std Cache On ECC Off Test Std Pass 1 Errors 14336. I would take it that there is something wrong with the memory nad is there anything i can do to get around it? And would this cause the problem i am having with the system locking up when surfing the net?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If there is more than one memory stick, remove all but the one in slot 1 then run the test

If you get the same error, remove it and replace it with another one

If it is one stick, use compatible memory from another PC

slipperyfox

slipperyfox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Keith

I have removed all the RAM and ran separate tests and it seems to be when it gets to test #8 it comes up with all the problems. All other tests are fine, and this happened on all 3 sticks. Is this normal or something wrong with all 3?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Unlikely to be all 3, although not ideal you could try the ram in slot 2 or 3 then running the test

Boot the PC, keep tapping the delete key until it enters set up, look for BIOS defaults, load those, press F10 to save, type Y to confirm then press enter