Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Anyone else having this problem?

• Please log in to reply

mak65

mak65

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi all,
I had a problem when right clicking on the desktop to get the drop-down properties menu.
I'd right click and get an hourglass...forever. No matter what I tried to do I couldn't get out of it.
Had to push the power button to restart. I tried this several times to see if I could figure out what was causing it.
I was, however, able to call up task manager (Ctrl/Alt/Delete) and found an exe file named verclsid.exe which was only a running process when the hourglass problem was going on. If I ended that process the hourglass went back to my normal cursor. One right click later, the hourglass was back and the process was running again.
I tried a System Restore and that didn't correct the problem.
Finally, I went to Add/Remove Programs and removed the most recent Windows update (Security Update for Windows XP - KB908531) and this fixed the problem. I had to turn off Auto-Update to keep it from downloading again.
I spoke with my brother and he had no problems after the same update.
I checked out Microsoft for any info on issues with this update and didn't find anything.
I isolated the problem but don't know where to go from here.
Has this happened to anyone else?
If so, is there a way to install the update and repair the problem?
Thanks for any information you can provide.

Edited by mak65, 14 April 2006 - 07:48 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
this is what I have been able to find out--seems the file is used to validate activex controls and ensure they cannot harm windows

What does this mean...I think..it could mean you have a harmful activex control on your system...it could mean your IE settings are too low?

I would reset the security and privacy settings to default in Internet Options

I would probably delete all the activex objects under INTERNET OPTIONS > GENERAL > TEMP INTERNET FILES > OBJECTS

Be interested to know how that works

mak65

mak65

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'll try what you recommended.
Thanks, gerryf.
I'll post the results soon.