Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Card Problems

• Please log in to reply

AmandaUnbidden

AmandaUnbidden

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I was hoping someone could help me with the problems I am experiencing with my graphics card. First off, let me tell you my system specs. I have a Pentium 4 processor at 3.06 ghz, 1 gig of RAM, the NVIDIA Geforce 6600 256 mb graphics card, and windows xp operating system.

I used to have the NVIDIA Geforce 5200 128 mb video card and it worked fine with running the game the Sims2, but I wanted a better video card so I could see better graphics. Well, the new card is supported by the game but I am having a lot of problems with it. For instance, after a few minutes of playing, the graphics become distorted with screen kind of flickering back and forth and the icons and pictures of my sims overlapping each other. I can save the game and exit but this always happens no matter what. I tried reinstalling my game and this happens even on a clean game, no downloads and a clean install. This leads me to believe it is a graphics card problem.

At first I thought it was a drivers problem so I tried about every driver that was compatible with my card but I still continued to experience these problems. So someone sent me a link to this forum and I thought I would post my problem and see if anyone had any ideas what I could do to get my game to play. I have also tried turning my hyperthreading off but that had no effect either.

I would really appreciate any help anyone could give me. Also if this post is in the wrong place, I apoligize.
Thanks in advance for any help!

Advertisements

joybz

joybz

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hi im not realy a wiz with computers but basic knowladge seems to be pointing in the direction of a heat issue, or maybe the psu is not quite beefy enough to handle the newer graphics card. Just use this as an indication, not a definate answer. :whistling:

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Check all the settings and try running it on low graphics. could we have a list of ur full system specs?