Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CAS Latency

• Please log in to reply

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
does anybody no how to play around with Latency times?

ive been reading a little about it and currently my memory is set at 3 but i was wondering is it worth going or trying to get it to 2.

does anybody no how to do this a step by step guide would be great :whistling:
now what happens if i do change the latency times and the pc wont boot how can i revert back to 3 will the bios still boot if the pc wont boot ( as in booting to windows )

and if i do change the timings will the voltage have to be raised to make it more stable?

i have 1 gig of pc3200 400mhz RAM (2x512) running in dual channel

any help or guidence would be greatly appreciated
thanks in advance,
troppo

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Heres a good read.

http://www.dewassoc....cas_latency.htm

http://www.techwarel...s/index_3.shtml

I tried reducing the timing on my OCZ 667 gold memory from 4 to 3 but XP would'nt even boot at that setting. I didnt try raising the voltage.

SRX660

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well according to that guide reducing the Latency doesnt really improve performance so i guess theres no bother in doing it might just overclock the ram slighty and bump up the fsb speed
thanks for the guides

if i did play around and the pc didnt want to boot what would i do would i just reset the cmos?

thanks again,
troppo

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I could still get to the bios where i changed the memory back to where it was. On another computer i did have to pull the cmos battery to get it to boot at all.

SRX660

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
so if i do stuff it and it wont boot then the bios should load and i will be able to change it back? or pull out the battery or use the jumper.
provided that i dont fry the memory lol
thanks for the help,
troppo