Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor Losses red color

• Please log in to reply

Dynamic

Dynamic

• Pip
  • 2 posts
for the past few days my monitor has had the red missing from it. i have tried unplugging and reconecting it which gives enough time for it to load up to desktop, but within the minute it will flick back to the lack of red.

not shore what my options are, if it is a lose conection in the acctual monitor, or a problem with my graphics card. any advice or questions would be most welcome.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Anytime i have had that sort of problem it was the hardware inside the monitor that was going bad. The only real choice here is replacing the monitor. If you could borrow a monitor from someone and see if the same problem exists, it would tell you where to look for the problem. It possibly could be the video chipset or card going bad. I have had SIS video cards( and one ATI rage2 card) that have gone bad.

SRX660

Dynamic

Dynamic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
well the fault seems to be in the monitor. and by tapping the back of it i managed to get it back to normal. but it only lasted for a few minutes.

it could be some sort of lose connection or something. just wondering if there is a way to get my hands dirty and get it back to normal. or do i need to fork out another 100 dollars (AU) for a new monitor?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
It could be the monitor, but also check to make sure that there is not a problem with the cable.

I have heard of ways to get a CRT to work for a bit, but I would not recommend it since it involves opening the case and you need to know what you are doing as there is high voltage in there and the tube stores a charge, for many years possibly.