Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading, need advice!

• Please log in to reply

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Awesome, so will this hard drive work with my samsung hard drive?

But the RAM, and the sound card are good to go? Would you explain to me what all those numbers and text in bold are/mean? And the timing and buffering of the RAM sticks mean/do, and what I should be looking for, cause my only stick now is 2.5/3/3/7 according to PCwizard.

When I am looking for a case, how many internal/external drive bays should I be looking for?

One more thing, is my mobo sufficient for all of this stuff, or should a mobo upgrade should be performed as well?

What do you mean by will it work with your samsung harddrive?? The harddrive I listed above will work in your system..

Dont worry about the timings that much, only the hardcore gamers care about low timings on their memory for bragging rights and it might help alittle bit in games more.. Your current memory has good timings. unbuffered is the normal ram put into normal machines and is cheaper.. Registerd ecc ram is mainly for server computers.. Any ram is fine, the corsair value select ram has nice timings as you can see.

Yeah the corsair ram is good, the soundcard is fine. For a case look for a full atx tower. 2-4 drive bays for the 5 1/2 devices like cd rom drives is plenty.. Its not difficult to pick a case. Get a nice looking atx tower case.. Sometimes you have to watch out for the cheap cases that include a power supply because some of the powersupplies are really cheap made..

Advertisements

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
So I am ready to order these things?

Tyris T701DB Black 17" 8ms (Tr: 2ms + Tf: 6ms) DVI LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 500:1 0.264mm Pixel Pitch
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L300S0 300GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive -
Creative SOUND BLASTER X-Fi Platinum 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card
CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual Channel Kit System Memory

Also here is the case I was looking to get
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811144170

And here is the PSU
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817148001

Let me know so I can place my order asap. Thanks for the help so far.

Edited by DOH!, 16 April 2006 - 04:39 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

So I am ready to order these things?

Tyris T701DB Black 17" 8ms (Tr: 2ms + Tf: 6ms) DVI LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 500:1 0.264mm Pixel Pitch
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L300S0 300GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive -
Creative SOUND BLASTER X-Fi Platinum 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card
CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Dual Channel Kit System Memory

Also here is the case I was looking to get
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811144170

And here is the PSU
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817148001

Let me know so I can place my order asap. Thanks for the help so far.

Your motherboard specifications that you listed didnt help me much because there is a few mobo's with the same chipset from the same company.

I do know since your motherboard has an agp slot for the video card that tells me that you motherboard has a 20 pin power connector, NOT a 24 pin power connector. Alot of the powersupplies that are 24 pin say 24 + 4 pins so they will work with either 20 or 24 pin mobos.

I would try and get another powersupply from antec, enermax, thermaltake is pretty good.

Edited by jrm20, 16 April 2006 - 06:12 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Looks allright to me, the montior i would check out a bit first, its not a big brand so worth reading up on it some cheap monitors are good as they are rebrands others not so good so you have to be sure.

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Is there anything I could do to help you figure out the specs on my mobo?

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Is there anything I could do to help you figure out the specs on my mobo?

I looked over the power supply it will work with your motherboard it should be fine.

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Ok so I am good to go on all the things listed above? Think that case is sufficient enough? Is there anything else I should maybe consider ordering? Wires, fans, HDD, ect?

Thanks for the help so far my man.

Edited by DOH!, 16 April 2006 - 07:46 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Ok so I am good to go on all the things listed above? Think that case is sufficient enough? Is there anything else I should maybe consider ordering? Wires, fans, HDD, ect?

Thanks for the help so far my man.

Let me ask are you getting a video card or not right now??? If you arent getting a video card right now then I recommend swapping the monitor to a video card. A video card would be more useful and you will take advantage of it more than a monitor.

Your pc should of came with sata cables when you bought it but it might not of so you will need to buy 1 sata cable for connecting your harddrive to the mobo. Its safe to go ahead and buy one. They are cheap..

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16812104150

no more wires are needed.

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I had planned on getting a vid card, but I do not know which to get.. Good thing you remembered, cause I forgot.

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
15 hour bump.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Try asking a question.

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Let me ask are you getting a video card or not right now??? If you arent getting a video card right now then I recommend swapping the monitor to a video card. A video card would be more useful and you will take advantage of it more than a monitor.

I had planned on getting a vid card, but I do not know which to get.. Good thing you remembered, cause I forgot.

-----------------------------------------^ Thats where you throw in recommendations that are good/ will work.

Woot for reading. :whistling:

Edited by DOH!, 17 April 2006 - 07:07 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

-----------------------------------------^ Thats where you throw in recommendations that are good/ will work.

Woot for reading. :whistling:

15 hour bump.

Yeah it was a 15 hour bump, we do this on our own time and we dont get paid at all. We arent on here at 3:07am in the morning either and we have other posts to reply to first then we get back to yours because we have replied over 5 times already...

You dont pay us nothing so dont get smart.

Look for a video card around $150-$200 and you should be fine...

DOH!

DOH!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

You dont pay us nothing so dont get smart.

jrm20, that post above was not directed at you in anyway, but rather at that funny looking 'monkey' warriorscot, for getting smart himself. Sorry my man.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You dont ask clear questions you dont get answers that wasnt a clear question, we also arent here to do everything for you, there are other people with more important problems we dont get have the time to go raking round websites to find vid cards, you do that then post it here and we tell you if its good or not.

And being cheeky to staff members really aint gonna get you anywhere as we dont have to help you and you wouldnt be the first person to be rude and get no help at all.