Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overheat?

• Please log in to reply

joybz

joybz

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
The computer i am using is a custom build which i made myself. About 2 months ago i bought "The Matrix Online" however about an hour into playing the game my computer started locking up severely whereby the only remedy was to switch it off. i could not find anything wrong with my computer. I installed all the latest drivers for my computer, tried backdating all my drivers. used "msconfig" to clean boot, disabled sound card through BIOS, checked all my components for physical damage i have even reinstalled windows all with abosoloutly no succuss. The SEO support told me it could be a heat problem however i run much more graphicaly intense games with no problems such as Half life 2, Counter Strike: Source and Quake 4. The card is a connect 3d ATI Radeon X800 GTO pci-e. I would be greatfull of any help.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then sensor
Give it a bit to show the temperatures, minimize it then play Matrix and keep checking the temperatures

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Thanks for the respose, however i tried that just after posting the graphics card was a steady 50-55 C didnt realy get any higher or lower. I ran it in windowed mode so i could keep checking it quite easily. Any more suggestions?? the Game locks up and makes a brief screach sound maybe half a second, similar to that of an old 56k dial tone then locks up the image of the game is still dispalyed but all i can do is restart computer.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Right thanks il get bk in touch as soon as im done. another thing i noticed was that task manager does not open upon ctrl+alt+del nor does it opon on the start>run> taskmgr i get the error msg [another program is using the file] not sure if this has any relevance. But it does work when i boot up in safe mode.

Edited by joybz, 15 April 2006 - 07:02 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can fix that if you have XP Pro

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
just running tuneup now

Edited by joybz, 15 April 2006 - 10:13 AM.

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Hmmmm... i think im running out of options here, i followed everything you said and guess what its locked up twice already so the problem has not gone. What do you suggest the problem could be? i can include a copy of dxdiag in my next post if u like?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is this with only one game or generally

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
This is the only game it only seems to lock up when im actualy using it, i can have it running minimised and do other things and its fine, as long as im not actualy viewing the game or playing it. ie so long as the gfx card isnt rendering it. However recently half life 2 has crashed to the desktop a couple of times. but everything else is fine.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Could you post a new topic in games as it seems specific to that, and they will have come across it there

http://www.geekstogo...hp?showforum=19

The only thing I have had with ATI is VPU Recover, though that usually reboots the PC

joybz

joybz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Yeh sure il post over there tks for the assistance anyway.