Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB not working.

• Please log in to reply

Muggle

Muggle

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Have you seen this ?

http://support.micro....com/?id=870893

Advertisements

cambridgedj

cambridgedj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
very interesting. Its possible it could be that and if so, would suck since i use a digi cam, iPod, wireless modem.

I do have a self powered midi keyboard I use and also an HP printer. when plugged in, neither work.

I used that link u gave me and also found this: http://support.micro...om/?kbid=816843

I've contacted them for the hotfix, though im not sure if it will work.

Edited by cambridgedj, 18 April 2006 - 12:09 AM.

metallic

metallic

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi new here and interestingly enough I went to fire up the dsl this morning and nothing happened as well noticed the wireless router light was off, so I powered down and switched the router to the usb port next to where it was and now Im back online. So now I gotta figure out whats up with that port. Let Me know if that hotfix works, if they have one. Hope you get your issue resolved.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
HP Share To Web has known issues

http://www.geekstogo...ts-t108642.html

Another poster found it caused errors with Microsoft Office

cambridgedj

cambridgedj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The printer is the only HP product. The camera is olympus. Just direct transfer using a usb cable.

tried fighting with sony but just dealt with outsourcers and scripts. I regret going with my previous employer to train those poor overqualified fellahs in spam. But it was a free trip to India expense paid;)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Greetings,

Since these devices work in other systems, we can assume that the problem is on the Sony, correct?

You replaced the previous motherboard due to this--why are we assuming it is not simply another failed motherboard?

Putting that question aside for the moment--let's go back to basics

For USB to work, you need

Support from the BIOS--what is the bios date on the PC--can it be updated?

Support from the Operating System--Windows XP sp2, so you're covered

Physical USB ports--all failing, so either motherboard or...?

A USB Device--multiple devices, all work, so we can rule this out

The correct USB cable for the device--hmmm, have you switched cables? A short in the cable could be at the heart of it--and furthermore, HOW LONG is the cable (and hopefully no extensions). Ideally, a usb cable should be no more than 6 feet, though the "standard" max length is 16.5 feet. Poorly shielded cables and cables with shorts will create all kinds of issues, especially with crappy, inexpensive usb controllers common in mass market PCs...

Drivers either from the OS and/or the peripheral maker--should not be an issue

cambridgedj

cambridgedj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I was hoping this time would not be a motherboard issue because the issue does have a difference(ie: the motherboard is sending power to the devices)

However, I can't think of anything else. I did do the AMIBIOS update from Sony's site but not sure what that was for.

All cables are fine.

: : :cambridge: : :

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
they are all 6 feet? (humor me)

Also, just because the USB port is sending power does nto mean it is sending enough power. a usb device tranfers 5 volts--maybe it is not pushing enough?

Which leads us to another possibility, though remote, but then wonky power supplies can lead to some of the weirdest symptoms. A power supply actually supplies three different volts--12volts, 5 volts, and 3.3 volts...but the 5 volt rail only does one thing, well, two things. It operates the on off function, and--you guessed it--usb. (it used to supply the videocard to, until the videocard's became more advanced)

It is possible--possible--that your 5-volt rail is dying. This is fairly easy to check...grab another power supply from another known good system and plug it into the zony's motherboard and drives (no need to actually mount it in the case--just set it on some books so it is not touching the case and something else to avoid a short and run the wires into the motherboard and drives.

See if that works

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01-cambridgedj - [USB Issues]
19th April 2006

Hello – May I interject an issue about USB cables –

The printer is the only HP product. The camera is olympus. Just direct transfer using a usb cabl

Is the direct Transfer cable used for any of the other USB Devices? This is a – [Direct Transfer Data Cable] & will not work as a USB Device cable – It does not have the +5V wire connection to pin [1]. So therefore a [No USB Power] Indication will be indicated/shown.

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 19 April 2006 - 07:54 PM.

cambridgedj

cambridgedj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Devices I have for USB use:

Oxygen 8 Midi keyboard. (usb or powersupply adapter)
Olympus Digital camera (uses a usb cable that connects from camera to usb port to transfer pictures)
HP printer. Only has usb outlet.
microsoft usb wireless mouse
belkin wireless modem.

All of these devices use different cables. All recieve power but are not recognized by Windows

:- ) how that helps clear up some confusion

thanks again for the constant support!

Cambridge

Advertisements

MechManiac

MechManiac

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi

In your case it might be an hardware problem on USB controller.
If you are with SP1 or 2 with base microsoft driver they must work correctly.
Those USb ports had correctly worked in past? They stop working after reinstall?

I have a similar problem on PCV-RS402 desktop.
In my case i have the USB 50% working: no way to set them to HI Speed mode :whistling:
In normal mode I can't open big files (>100Mb) from USB drives such as PenDrives or external HDD...

I have no USB voices in BIOS setup...
Tried to install all updated drivers from Sony and Intel website but no way to make them work.

The latest BIOS update from Sony (reading the info file) is only for this:

- Improves the stability of the unit after resuming from hibernation or stand-by.

...unuseful

My actual bios version reports:
Date: 12/10/03 09:06:07
Ver. 08.00.08

Do you have a USB mode voice in BIOS setup???
Or there is any way to enter an advanced BIOS setup program with full controls? Or is there an hardware solution (jumpers or anything similar)???