Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PCI-E 6800GT Gone Nuts

• Please log in to reply

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
Hey guys...

I installed a 6800GT in my uncles in december. It worked great untill about a month or so ago when everything just went crazy. At boot all the letters were totally scrambled, as well as having seemingly random letters all over the shop. I know the mobo was faulty so i replaced that but nothing changed.

The problems seemingly only started after Everquest 2 was installed (Coincidental?), before that it worked fine. The card has never been overclocked as far as i know (namely because my uncle doesnt know what overclocking is).

I ran PC-Check and the CPU, Mobo and memory are fine, i also ran Memtest after to check again.

Does anyone know what might be causing the problem?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You could try removing (from add/remove programs) the suspect "Everquest 2" you mentioned and see if that fixes the problem.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
i tried that, formatted the system, but the problem effects the system before windows boots up. In Windows it says the device cannot start and the screen is distorted.

Its a real pickle.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
I suspect the graphics card is bad and needs to be replaced.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I had this problem twice, after spilling water on an old FX5200, and overclocking an FX5200 from 250MHz core to 480MHz core... As I was chucking them out anyway :whistling:.

^_^ what Austin_O said.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
oh god...its still under limited warrenty but god knows where the boxes are etc....and i bet these guys will fight to the death before they replace this thing.