Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Does NOT Detect Scanner

• Please log in to reply

niteghost

niteghost

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
This has never happen to me before, I have hooked up a HP 3970 Scanner to my Sony VAIo PC, and XP is not detecting the Scanner. IT is connected Via USB 2.0 and , I do not get a "New hardware Found".
Tried to find anything in BIOS, maybe to edit the BIOS, to no avail.
This scanner connects well with my G-Friend HP PC, so I am NOT sure is there any connection to the problem, that I am facing now. Any suggestions to go from here? Thanks.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Best way to do this is make sure the scanner is turned off. Connect it to the USB port, then power it up. XP should detect it.

Seven!

Seven!

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Right click on My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager.

Look for any yellow question marks or red Xs (specifically near the USB ports). If there are any yellow question marks, then I would look for your USB 2.0 driver, if there are any red Xs, Right click -> Enable.

Trying a different port might not be a bad idea either.

niteghost

niteghost

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Done everything that U guys suggested and MORE before Posting. Not a Novice in PC and installing Hardware. Thanks anyway, I am currently in touch via E-Mail with HP Tech support.

:whistling:

Edited by niteghost, 15 April 2006 - 03:46 PM.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Good luck, I hope HP tech support has an answer for you. Post back if you get it fixed or need additional assistance.

If you do need additional assistance let us know what you have already done so we don't ask you to do the same thing all over again. From your first post, it was not possible to tell what you had tried. My approach in such cases is to start with basic things first and proceed from there. This is not a presumption of your level of expertise. We can only act on what you have told us. We do our best to try to help folks who ask. We are here if you need us.