Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

:data error (cyclic redundancy check) help!

• Please log in to reply

deefadog

deefadog

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Ok, i think my hard drive has had it - I keep getting this when acessing different files - :data error (cyclic redundancy check)

Is there any thing i can do?

If not i have backed up all my file, apart from the ones that give me the error, i can also hear the hard drive doing the slow, click.......click....etc

Also I have exported my microsoft outlook as a .pst file, as there are so many export options, is this the correct one for me to import when i install everything on a new hard rive?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes, the pst file is the correct one

a crc means that the pc cannot read the file--usually, it applies to downloaded files and compressed files, but the click, click, click screams dying drive.

deefadog

deefadog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Thanks so much that's all i needed to know! :whistling:

Yeah, i got my first blue screen on XP in 2 years, so i guess the drive is going bye bye, i have copies all my files to my back up drive which is half the capacity of my main dribe (been meaning to change that as Ghost will not backup due to bigger size)

I am hoping to get a new drive and a temp one from work, so i can ghost my main dying drive and boot it on to the new one!

any reccomendations on a new drive?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
any drive spinning at 7200 rpm, with 8mb of cache that will fit your budget

IDE (which I am assuming you have) drives are a commodity...brand matters less and less these days.

deefadog

deefadog

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Thanks for the info!

I got this error originally when copying an avi from a dvd to the hard drive, the pc crashed with the blue screen.

Also when i was copying all my files off the hrad drive another .avi (personal family video) gives the same error, i really need this, is there any software that can repair this file?

Thanks once again