Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant find rundll32.exe to open up Add/Remove Programs

• Please log in to reply

jchach

jchach

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have had this problem for a long time & I need to fix it as it is driving me nuts. I try to get into the Add/Remove programs because my kids are downloading alot of crap that is putting all kinds of spyware on my PC but I cant get in because it says Windows cant find this file.

I cant even download Hijackthis to do any kind of scan because I get the same rundll32 message.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks

John

Advertisements

jchach

jchach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I found out what to do to get it.

Thanks

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
you want to share it for others who may have the same problem

jchach

jchach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
This was posted somewhere else & it is not mine, but it works if you follow the steps:

Step-by-step without the extra talk and stuff...to make it easier

1) First you go to http://www.spywarein.....html#rundll32
2) Download rundll32.exe for windowsME
3) when asked whether to open it or save it choose open.
4) then unzip it (if u need a program to do so go to http://www.winzip.com/ theres a 21 day trial version of it. i used that )
5) once unzipped place the file into C:\WINDOWS
6) YOU'RE DONE!

P.S. if its an actual folder named rundll32_me u need to go into that folder and cut rundll32.exe then paste it into C:\WINDOWS and it should work

Also, if you cant OPEN it, save it to your My Documents folder & follow the steps from there