Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Submission Form

• Please log in to reply

Hexbomber

Hexbomber

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am a new "web designer" if that's what you want to call it. I am currently in the process of developing a website for a consulting company.

I want to have a form where user's can fill in information and click "submit" or whatever.

Then the information will be stored in another .html file called "secret.html" or whatever. Where the owner of the company could go and view all the submitted information.

As it is a small company I am not worried about hackers, I will beef up security later. I am quite good with security in my opinion. But the problem is HTML I have no idea what I am doing.

If at all possible I would like to do this without the use of PHP or databases.

What would the code look like for a form like this? (HTML Code that is if possible)

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 667 posts

I am a new "web designer" if that's what you want to call it. I am currently in the process of developing a website for a consulting company.

I want to have a form where user's can fill in information and click "submit" or whatever.

Then the information will be stored in another .html file called "secret.html" or whatever. Where the owner of the company could go and view all the submitted information.

As it is a small company I am not worried about hackers, I will beef up security later. I am quite good with security in my opinion. But the problem is HTML I have no idea what I am doing.

First off you are designing a site for a client and you have no clue about HTML? :whistling:
Thats like me saying I plan on doing brain surgery but have never taken a single medical class...

Small company or not you need to be worried about security ESPECIALLY if this is for a client and not yourself and ESPECIALLY if you are going to have users fill in their information. Seriously, knowing what I know now by your post I would NEVER submit my information to a site you designed since security is of minor importance and now my information can be easily compromised.

Worry about security mate.... And learn HTML....

Just my 2 cents...

Edited by thenotch, 15 April 2006 - 05:05 PM.

brendandonhue

brendandonhue

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
HTML does not write files. You need to use a serverside language.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

First off you are designing a site for a client and you have no clue about HTML? :whistling:
Thats like me saying I plan on doing brain surgery but have never taken a single medical class...

Small company or not you need to be worried about security ESPECIALLY if this is for a client and not yourself and ESPECIALLY if you are going to have users fill in their information. Seriously, knowing what I know now by your post I would NEVER submit my information to a site you designed since security is of minor importance and now my information can be easily compromised.

Worry about security mate.... And learn HTML....

Just my 2 cents...

The guy came here for help, not an update of whats going on in his head to make it worse. Consider being in his shoes. And as you have all of those fancy web designing qualifications help the guy! Geez :blink:

Hexbomber

Hexbomber

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
LOL, Sorry, for not making a few things clear.

I am setting this up as a side project, I am not getting paid or anything. The client is my friend and we are just experimenting, were not actually setting up any real confidential information. And I care about security just not database or whatever.

Anyone still up for telling me in which direction I should go!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Hexbomber:

Do you have a hosting site yet? Something like at godaddy.com, cedant.com or startlogic.com? Most hosting sites have a CPanel with lots of neat utilities. Mine has a Form Maker, MailForm and more. Using SmartFTP allows me to CHMod any folder or file. These all seem to come with good support and online tutorials and help files for using the utilities.

They also have it so you can usually select what way the editor is used. I use the plain one as I write my own code, but there is a WYSIWYG Editor you can use.

Feel free to ask for whatever help you need.

Ron

Hexbomber

Hexbomber

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I am currently using dajoob.com I don't want to waste money on this seeing as how were just fooling around:P

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 667 posts

The guy came here for help, not an update of whats going on in his head to make it worse. Consider being in his shoes. And as you have all of those fancy web designing qualifications help the guy! Geez :whistling:

I did... worry about the security issues and learn HTML... learn HTML and understanding how a form works will be a piece of cake.

You want him to take the easy way out... I prefer not to promote laziness... your last bit of sarcasm is duly noted...

Anyway... after reading his last post he says they are just "fooling around"... again, this is with a client?

Whatever... Do what Major Payne suggested, use some sort of "formmail" type program (not Matt Wright's actual FormMail script as it is outdated and has been massively exploited) and have the results of the form emailed to you.

Hexbomber

Hexbomber

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay I got it all figured out... I'm not at all worried about security ATM. Because I am quite knowledgeable (in my opinion) in that area.

I am a hacktivist from the hacker community at www.hackthissite.org and an active member in the www.criticalsecurity.net forums.

So basically I just came here for web design tips and whatever.

Big shoutout to all those who helped Thanks!

Drop by Criticalsecurity.NET

Hex

TDXkev

TDXkev

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I know it may sound a bit daunting, but you should take a stab at php. It's really easy to pick up and you should be rolling out what you want to do in no time :whistling:

If you need help, just let us know :blink:

Hexbomber

Hexbomber

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sweet Thanks,

You guys should drop by www.criticalsecurity.net or www.hackthissite.org

It is an amazing community for security both internet and network related.

It may sound a bit scary to be hanging out with "hackers" but it's not that bad, were not all the terrorists the media paints us to be.

Thanks for all your help!

Hex