Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sorry, another overheating topic

• Please log in to reply

crax

crax

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello, I'm Robert and I'm new to these forums. I build my own computer in January of 2005 ( a little over a year ago). My computer would be fine but would lock up when i played high end games. I then started having some problems with Counter Strike Source, and would see after it froze the heat sink was very hot. eventually, i ended up using my PC with the side of the case off.

My computer started to freeze more after playing games and bumping into the side of the case. My heat sink at this point is still feeling very hot. To confirm that this was unusually warmer then average (being my first made computer ) i enabled the option on for it to beep at a certain temp in bios (60 Celsius). Now it does beep, and i had put a fan next to my tower to cool it off. this was very effective for a long time, and now with the summer coming it is turning off alot more since it is getting hotter out, i have just tried cleaning out all the dust and replacing the thermal material on the CPU(I'm using "DYNEX silver thermal compound" and yes i know i should use AS5) and when i play 1.6 it will still eventually freeze. I cleaned all the case fans, heatsink fan and actually heatsink, and made sure the back two fans blow the air out, the side two point on it, the front two (from afar) point on it , and the overhead also points on it. I'm using a Thermaltake 10 ATXF XASER III V1000A RT case, a AMD 64 |3400+ ATHLON 64 CPU, 1 gig of corsair ram, and a BFG 6800 OC 128 MB. the CPU is not overclocked and I'm looking for any advice. i was thinking about possibly getting a new case, or heat sink. For a while now i have been using my computer leaving the case open and pointing a fan on it. Now with it being hotter, this is not effective and with the case closed it does not work either so now the fan doesn't help much besides allowing more dust to enter my tower. Also, my CPU is a socket 754 and i was looking at http://www.newegg.co...038#DetailSpecs as a possible replacement heat sink. I saw in my bios my heat sink fan was spinning over 3,000 and was wondering if this fan would even change anything. thank you for your help. I just now took he monitor to beep, and eventually shut down off from bios changing it from 60 Celsius (minimum besides disabled) to 90 Celsius (maximum). Any advice whatsoever would be very much appreciated.

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Hi Robert, welcome to Geeks To Go!

Overheating problems are becoming more likely as the CPU is becoming more thrashed in high end games, which I'm sure you are aware of. This does seem to be a CPU Cooling problem and buying a new case would hardly cool the CPU at all! Your best option is to go for a new CPU Cooler.

I'd advise getting this, a friend has it and I know it keeps his AMD 64 3800+ cool; http://www.yoyotech....?idproduct=1739.

I don't know how much you are willing to spend, but you are better off spending a lot of money in one place which will last a long time rather than buying cheap parts that will last minutes.

crax

crax

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Im willing to spend whatever is neccessary, and i agree with you, buy quality now then replacing later, i do not however plan on spending over 100$ and that picture may just seem big, or maybe it is but do you know if the fan will fit a standard mobo? it looks like it might be cutting it close with my ram. In addition, is Artic Silver 5 your top recccomendation as far as thermal compound?
also, here is a pic of my mobo http://www.ocinside....s_pro_u_big.jpg
after looking at it some more, my motherboard isnt listed as compatible or incompatable, except the socket 939 version is compatible, on the zalman site http://www.zalman.co...MBlist_eng.html
it actually says "▶ Compatible if Zalman's ZM80#-HP VGA cooler is not installed." any ideas?(if you happen do know a better heatsink/fan that will definitly fit for >100$ i would apreciate it if your unsure about this one)

Edited by crax, 15 April 2006 - 05:30 PM.

crax

crax

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello, if i were to mount http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811999612 onto my heatsink, and take off my heatsink fan would that be adequate for cooling?

Edited by crax, 16 April 2006 - 07:15 PM.