Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP Not Booting Anymore

• Please log in to reply

Tyler5690

Tyler5690

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Yesterday, I had a friend upgrade my motherboard and processor. Today when I turned it on, Windows would not boot anymore. What caused this?

Side Note:
Several months ago, I bought and installed a new hard drive. It was a Western Digital 120 GB drive, but because of my BIOS, it only registered at 30. Could this be a factor?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Tyler5690...

This has probably happened because of the hardware change. Has it booted at all since the motherboard and CPU were installed. Can you describe what happens when you try to boot the machine?

wannabe1

Tyler5690

Tyler5690

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Yes, it worked perfectly until the upgrade. Now, after trying to boot from floppy, it just sits at a black screen with a blinking white cursor in the top left corner.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you hear any beeps when the machine starts?

Tyler5690

Tyler5690

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
No beeps.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sounds like either the processor is not seated properly or is bad...or is overheating. Do the fans and drives spin up?

Tyler5690

Tyler5690

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Yes, everything works. I know this because I am currently running Ubuntu Live on it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...then it is the hardware change...Windows doesn't recognize the new hardware. An in-place upgrade should get you up and running.

Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

wannabe1

Tyler5690

Tyler5690

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Great, I had actually thought about that, but I wanted to double check with those more knowledgable than I. Thanks! I'll post with the results.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You're welcome! :whistling:

Tyler5690

Tyler5690

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Things seemed to be going great until Setup restarted, now I'm back where I started. Any other thoughts, or do I have to start over fresh with Windows?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have a look at this Microsoft Article.