Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

my sons computer is infected with se.dll

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

thunderbolt

thunderbolt

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My sons computer is infected with se.dll and I cannot remove it. I tried spybot, trend sysclean, since the online trend fails and closes the browser on a registry entry called hardwage.txt I also am trying spysweeper and cannot get rid of this sucker. Doing a google search brought me to your site and I downloaded and ran hijack this. I have been fighting this thing all week and am about to give up.

Any help would be appreciated as I am exhausted. I am attaching my hijack this log.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attached Files

Advertisements

thunderbolt

thunderbolt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Noticed most messages include the hijack file in the message and not as an attachement so I am doing the same. Thanks
Rick

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:03:25 AM, on 3/2/05
Platform: Windows 98 Gold (Win9x 4.10.1998)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\LOGITECH\ITOUCH\ITOUCH.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\HIJAK\HIJACKTH.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer,SearchURL = http://www;google.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\se.dll/sp.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\se.dll/sp.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,(Default) = about:blank
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = about:blank
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,HomeOldSP = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,HomeOldSP = about:blank
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {E063F61F-89DF-11D9-B215-00A0EE5152D8} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COCP.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [zBrowser Launcher] C:\Program Files\Logitech\iTouch\iTouch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [sp] rundll32 C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\SE.DLL,DllInstall
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra button: WeatherBug - {AF6CABAB-61F9-4f12-A198-B7D41EF1CB52} - C:\Program Files\AWS\WeatherBug\Weather.exe (file missing) (HKCU)
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93} (Java Runtime Environment 1.4.0_01) -
O16 - DPF: {CAFEEFAC-0014-0000-0001-ABCDEFFEDCBA} (Java Runtime Environment 1.4.0_01) -
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai...all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {1239CC52-59EF-4DFA-8C61-90FFA846DF7E} (Musicnotes Viewer) - http://www.musicnote...ad/mnview95.cab
O16 - DPF: {11010101-1001-1111-1000-115676576822} - ms-its:mhtml:file://c:\nosuch.mht!http://www.ustimerz.....chm::/par2.exe
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://by1fd.bay1.ho...es/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {04E214E5-63AF-4236-83C6-A7ADCBF9BD02} (HouseCall Control) - http://housecall-bet...all/xscan60.cab
O18 - Filter: text/html - {89FCD1A1-8A7E-11D9-B215-00A05458457D} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COCP.DLL
O18 - Filter: text/plain - {89FCD1A1-8A7E-11D9-B215-00A05458457D} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COCP.DLL

thunderbolt

thunderbolt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I used hijackthis to create the above mentioned log file. I ran csshredder , then ad-ware and thought that the thing was cleaned. I left the computer running several hours and no popups or home page redirects occured. I also periodically hit ctlrl alt dele to see if the rundll was active and it was not.

I shut the machine down for the night, Wed and on Thursday after it rebooted, Home page was good, no popups and no rundlls. I Closed the internet and just had the computer sitting there, then boom after about 10 minutes the adware was back, my internet was back to the search-4 page.

I reran hijackthis and made a bad judgement and selected what I thought was the correct registry entrys to remove, and destroyed my computer. It was an older gateway running windows 98. It Had special software so that windows 98 could see the whole 20 gig hard drive.

The computer would boot and make a network connection to my other thru the router, but I was getting a fatal error on explorer with only the option to shut down. I made a 98 startup disk and tryed to reinstall windows 98 , but It asked me to partion my HD . I gave it up at that point and decided to go on an bite the bullet and reformat and install windows 2000..

Anyway maybe this info will be helpful to someone, but the bottom line is because of that stupid popup , I lost a system, albeit my fault for deleting something I was not sure of.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Just FYI, there is a backup system in HiJackThis (that you can access since HJT was in a permanent folder). You can just go to "configure" > "backup" and restore the entries you "fixed". Are you having any troubles with the new OS?

Michelle

thunderbolt

thunderbolt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Michelle,

Thanks for the info, but I don't think it would have helped me. I gave the computer to a friend of mine and he was actually able to reinstall Windows 98 Se. After he got the computer going again, 15 minutes later that box popped up about spyware. We were able to identify the 2 malicious files, sp.exe and se.dll. He worked on it a couple nights and then I just told him to format the drive and go ahead and put windows 2000 on it.

My solution for now is I am running zonealarm on both computers on my home network, and when I go to bed I night I disconnect the cable modem and take it with me to work. This is about the only way I can keep my 19 yr old from going to some of these questionable sites.

I programmed computers at gulfstream aerospace for over 16 yrs, so I am somewhat familiar with computers, but this particular piece of ad ware, or trojen, or virus is the first one that I have been unable to successfully remove.

Thanks for the taking the time to respond, but I had read a few threads about the se.dll on this forum but It just didn't work out for me this time.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
I'm glad it worked out for you even though you had to re-format!

You know where to find us if you have any more trouble

This topic has been resolved by the orignal poster and is now closed.