Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Major Lag Spikes In My Games

• Please log in to reply

ajdevilchild

ajdevilchild

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have recently have been having lag spike problems in all my games, Im not sure what is causing it but it never used to do this. My ping will drop and raise constintly and i will warp around when i move. Some time it will calm down and still lag a bit but other times it will be massive lag spikes, When it calms down you see that my ping will slowly stop changing so much and stay around the same ping, but when it starts up it will go from 24 to 68 to 250 to 156 and so on and so on constintly changeing, im starting to get headaches. This happens to every game server I join on every game. I dont seem to be getting Lag spikes when i download things or use anything else other then games.

Dont think it is spyware causing this becouse i have used every malware, spyware and virus remover out there. I use rogers highspeed internet im about 256k i think i got 512 mb ram 2.00ghz.

Please help me get my games back to normal, please!

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
could be many things.

Ill list some for you to go over and check.

Could be a problem with your isp..

If you share your connection it could be other people messing you up especially if you have slower highspeed. On cable or dsl if someone is downloading in the other room or uploading your connection is screwed nomatter what unless you have a router that has special features to cut off users speed or qos (quality of service) settings within the router.

It could be your router if you have one..

If you have a router, try connecting the modem directly to your pc and test it.

ajdevilchild

ajdevilchild

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Nope No Router No other computers hooked into my internet only one.... its driving me crazy my internet used to be nice and smooth no laging now its bad! Iv searched around the internet and alot of people are having the same problems....

Dockboy

Dockboy

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hi,

When I started gaming, I would get lag like crazy all the time. I couldn't figure it out, my computer can run the game no problem. So I started to look at stuff to do with my Internet connection.

First of all, I shutdown an and all programs running that are resource hogs, like torrent programs, or Norton Antivirus(Huge Hog!!) and download programs like LimeWire/Ares/Etc... Then I would shut down all my chat programs. I've noticed with the most recent MSN (7.5) that you get massive lag whenever a message comes in. That messes you up big time in-game. Once I have all my chat and resource hog programs shut down, I make a last check for anything else I could shut down. Anything that isn't required for running the game.

Once everything is shutdown, I boot up my game. By this point, the only thing left to give me huge lag spikes in a game are my Internet provider and other people in the game with crappy connections/computers.

With this strategy, I've always enjoyed my gaming experiences. It is a little tedious to shut everything down, play the game, then start everything up again, but you have weigh out the differences on this; what is more important to you. Hope this helps you out.

Cheers:)

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
In addition to the last post, if you are going to use IM in games, choose X-Fire http://www.xfire.com/