Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Restore doesnt work

• Please log in to reply

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
When I try to open system restore it says "System Restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer, and then run System Restore again.” I really want to know why is this problem occurring, please can someone help me?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi BSNCAPBYY...

Is the Restore Service started?

Click Start, then Run, type services.msc, and click "Ok". Scroll down to "System Restore Service"...is it Started?

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 15 April 2006 - 09:04 PM.

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
When i want to start it, it says "Could not start system restore service on local computer" "Error 5: Access is denied".

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try booting into Safe Mode, log into the Admin account, and start the service from there?

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
I booted in Safe Mode, logged in as Admin, and started the service and the same thing happend. Now what?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try this

1. Click Start, click Run, and then type %windir%\inf.

2. Locate the Sr.inf file, right-click the file, and then click Install.

3. In the Files Needed dialog box, click Browse. Locate the Sr.sy_ file in the i386 folder of the Windows XP CD, click the file, and then click Open.

4. When the installation is completed, restart your computer.

As it reboots, keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.micro....com/kb/315222/

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Thanks Keith and wannabe1 for helping me fix the problem, good guys you are good work.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting us know

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ditto! :whistling:

BSNCAPBYY

BSNCAPBYY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Your welcome, but now i have another problem i wrote another topic in this forum called "My computer doesn’t start up correctly", you might want to check it out and help me there also, thanks