Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ram upgrade gone bad

• Please log in to reply

Sharvani

Sharvani

• Pip
  • 2 posts
After building a new comp for some reason I decided to keep my regular ddr ram (2 512 sticks) and finally today I bought two new 512 stricks of pc3200 ddr400... turned everything off, took out he old sticks, plugged it in and no boot. I am also getting a very soft (but extremely high pitched) squealing from my power supply. At least it sounds like its the power supply. (and yes I did plug them into the mismatched slots and try and turn it on, but I dont see how that would fry something) Anyways, now even when I plug in my old ram I still get the same problem. Have checked all my connections and I dont have another power supply in the house with enough prongs to test it out. If anyone has any ideas or something I could try it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I run win XPpro, AMD 64 3.2 processor, and one of the newer asus SLI dual PCIe slot motherboards and a 480w power supply.

(edit) Was just looking around at other posts and didn't even think to check if my mouse light was on or not. Which it isn't.... leading me even more to believe (and hope) thats it's only a power supply issue. Still wondering what I could have done to kill it since it was working just fine before.

Edited by Sharvani, 15 April 2006 - 09:28 PM.

Advertisements

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Did you wear a static numbing strap when you were touching PC components. The statics from underneath your fingernails can seriously damage PC components.

williesbest2

williesbest2

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
Squealing from a power supply doesn't sound good at all. What kind of power supply are you using. Is it a generic or is it a brand name, such as Antec or OCZ?

Sharvani

Sharvani

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the replies, the power supply was a generic one (which I shall never do again) and thankfully newegg <3 overnights stuff. Picked up a well rated antec with more power (550w), plugged it all in and is running fine. The new ram included.

Even though I'm thrilled it was only the power supply I'm still curious as to why plugging in new ram would cause the old one to 'pop' and go dead. Does ram require a couple watts or something?