Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Office 2003 "File open" not responding

• Please log in to reply

btcolin

btcolin

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I am really stuck.

When I try to use the Office2003 File open window it freezes when I try to select a sub folder. If I select a file it will open ok, but it will not open a sub folder.

I have tried reinstalling Office2003 several times. I have been told it may be a memory problem. I have 512mB memory and about 400mB is used. When I run task manager it doesn't show a large increase in memory usage. I have just done a disk defrag.

If I use My Computer to open files and subfolders, everything is ok.

Sometimes Word opens very slowly. It seems to be linked to a spellcheck problem. I cannot use Outlook2003 with the word engine as it freezes too. If I open two documents the second takes ages to open while it seems to be doing a spellcheck. I have lived with this second problem for ages. The file open is a new problem.
I run NIS2006 and keep all programs fully up-to-date. I occasionally run adaware. I have what I consider quite a large subfolder structure in my My Documents environment.

Help!!

Edited by btcolin, 16 April 2006 - 07:58 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open Norton anti virus, click options, misc options, remove tick from Office Plug in, click apply, Open Word

Reboot if it still won't open

btcolin

btcolin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi Keith,

Thank you - unfortunately it didn't work. Any other ideas?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Norton is usually the problem, there is a command you can run but I would need to hunt for that

Remain offline for this, open Norton, disable it from running at start up, click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm then reboot

Open Word

If no change

Re-enable Norton

Open Word, click help then detect and repair, tick restore shortcuts

btcolin

btcolin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi Again, Keith,

I've tried all that, It took a little longer but unfortunately I am still expeiencing the same problem. I don't know if you've run out of ideas yet.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

btcolin

btcolin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Wow, Keith,

That took a while. however it still hasn't cleared the problem I am trying to solve.

When I open an office program then click File open then in the window click a folder it still hangs.
This can be from the windows start menu, or from inside any office program including trying to attach a file to an email in outlook.

I am sure I've followed all your instructions to the letter. Do you have any further ideas.

I have been playing with Outlook and that does now seem to work with the Word editor. Although opening two documents in word is still somewhat laboured.

Edited by btcolin, 16 April 2006 - 10:17 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You will need to be careful here, but if you have the room on the drive, click start then control panel, click add / remove, click Micrsoft Office 2003 then click change, it should have an option to modify the installation, click Word then click run all from my computer, if room is not a problem then you can change them all to run from the computer

btcolin

btcolin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi Keith,

Still a no go. I tried with Word first, and then with whole of Office. Neither resolved the problem.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, copy and paste this in and press enter

regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton antivirus\officeav.dll"

If it says

DllUnregisterServer in C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\OfficeAV.dll succeeded

Reboot

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is worth a look

http://support.micro...kb/822005/en-us

I would bypass the re-install option until it becomes the only game in town

You would need to back up Outlook before that

btcolin

btcolin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Dear Keith,

thank you for all you help today. The regsvr did not succeed. I will study the microsoft kb page tomorrow and see if it makes any sense to me.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It does look involved but if you run it from the top then keep checking Word, at some point it should improve

Hope it goes well

btcolin

btcolin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi again Keith,

I think I have waded through everything on that Microsoft sheet. I can see that I haven't even touched the tip of the iceberg when it comes to understanding what goes on.

Also, I still haven't been able to resolve the problem. I tried simply turning off NIS and NAV to see if that had any effect - but no.

So if you have any other ideas, I would greatly appreciate it.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Two things for consideration

Repair XP, this leaves data and settings, along with installed programmes alone, however it removes all windows updates / service packs. It could be something within those that is affecting Word, you would then have the option to re-install the hotfixes individually or in low numbers then check for an adverse affect on Word

The other one is to re-install Office, doing this straight off you would lose any e-mails, however you can back up Outlook data to disc and then load what you need from those into Outlook after the re-install

If you need to back up Outlook, let me know

Neither is quick, especially when you factor in the updates and service packs on dial up