Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Task Manager has been disabled

• Please log in to reply

Kikashi

Kikashi

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,

A couple of months ago, my PC was subject to a Spyware attack that although eventually removed by Macaffe & Adware, left me with a problem logging in. Each of the 4 accounts that I had set up recieved a message that the Userinit file was corrupt and then left with a blank screen. I found a way around this by using CTRL+ALT+DEL to launch Task Manager, then start a new task that could not be found eg "c:\". This then brought up Desktop and away we went.
System restore was of no help, and the Windows repair said that I would lose data during the repair data, so I have been trying to backup my data, but due to problems with my DVD drive had not completed this before I received another virus, which appears to have disabled Task Manager in all of my administrator accounts. I am only able to type this as I have a non-administrator account that appears unaffected. Unfortunately, I have not been able to install HJT as I have no admin rights!

Is there anything I can do other than the repair!!

Mark

Ps I am running XP professional

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When you try to open Windows Task Manger, the following error may appear:

Task Manager has been disabled by your administrator

CAUSE

1. You use an account that was blocked via the Local Group Policy or Domain Group Policy.

2. Some registry settings block you from using Task Manager.

RESOLUTION

http://support.micro...d=rss&spid=3208

Kikashi

Kikashi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks Kieth,

Unfortunately, due to my earlier problem, I do not have access to the TaskBar, or any other part of my desktop, so I am unable to get the run box up. Even "Flag+R" key combo, gives nothing.
One thing I did notice, after starting up in safe mode, was that there is a new Administrator account that doesn't show up in other modes, and that I do not have the password for.

Any other ideas please ?

Mark

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you open task manager and type explorer.exe then press enter

If you get the desktop etc, click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter

If not, use task manager, file, new task, sfc /scannow then press enter

Then look at the article from post 2

Kikashi

Kikashi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
From the non-admin account, I can run the 'sfc /scannow' by either method you mentioned, but the app disappears immediately. Following up by running Gpedit.msc, gets me the message "You do not have permission to perform this operation - Access is denied"

From the Admin accounts, I cannot get Task Manager to work, and I do not have a Task Bar because of the Userinit Logon Application error I mentioned earlier.

regards,
Mark

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need the computer’s product key to complete this

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

Kikashi

Kikashi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I don't believe this!

The XP setup routine is not recognising the Hard-disk, so it won't repair, or install XP.

Aaaargh!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What is the error message?

Kikashi

Kikashi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
From this screen:-
http://www.geekstogo...c/XPWelcome.gif

When I press enter, as instructed, to install XP, a message comes up saying that setup has not detected any hard drives on my system and that I should ensure that the disk drives are connected and powered up before trying again.

I have tried several times and run the diagnostics program, which reporsts the SATA drives as being ok, but still no joy!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until it enters set up, look for and load BIOS defaults, press F10 then type Y and press enter to reboot

Kikashi

Kikashi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
My PC is a Dell, so I used F2 rather than F8, and restored the factory defaults, then saved and exited the Bios config. I then rebooted the PC to XP CD, started the XP setup procedure and got the same message, No Hard drives found connected to the system, could not setup XP.

Mark

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When the XP set up starts loading drivers, do you press F6 or something for SATA

Maybe you can watch the taskbar as it shows all the options

Kikashi

Kikashi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
That had occurred to me, but I am using the XP disk that came with the Del, and I am sure that I got further than this when I tried a few weeks ago, but I will see if I can find any driver disks.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See if they are available from the hard drive manufacturer's site and if so use another PC to get them

Kikashi

Kikashi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It has been a while, but I have finally managed to wipe my HD and re-install XP. Thanks for your help. MH