Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Latest Window Update Messed Up Sound

• Please log in to reply

dianab9311

dianab9311

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
A strange problem that I'm thankful in advance for help on...

Windows XP Home. Update was applied by the computer last night and now the sound is muddy. I went through all the controls (SoundMax Integrated Digital Sound - 9/04 driver, no new ones available) and everything is set correctly. The speakers have not be changed. This has to be a windows problem but I just can't figure out what it is!

My thanks again.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Re-install the soundcard software

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Or alternatively roll back the drivers on the sound card.

D. Brown

D. Brown

• Pip
  • 7 posts

A strange problem that I'm thankful in advance for help on...

Windows XP Home. Update was applied by the computer last night and now the sound is muddy. I went through all the controls (SoundMax Integrated Digital Sound - 9/04 driver, no new ones available) and everything is set correctly. The speakers have not be changed. This has to be a windows problem but I just can't figure out what it is!

My thanks again.

Not everyone but many people have had problems after the latest Windows Security Update, KB925902. I've read posts about how to uninstall the update and how to install a patch for it. It mostly affected people with Real Tek Audio Control Panel software and it also disabled AVG antivirus for some people.

It messed up my computer so I just did a system restore to just before the update. It fixed my problem.

D. Brown