Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

bios flashing

• Please log in to reply

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
i was thinking of updating my bios from version f4 to f7 is it worth it what are the advantages and disadvantages?

im just worried if something goes wrong that my pc will be stuffed because i havent come across a way to reset the bios or restore it if someting goes wrong can you save a bios to a flopppy drive just in case something does go wrong?

the reason why i am thinking of doing thins is so i can gain acsess to different settings that are greyed out mainly for overclocking but im not sure of the risks if i do upgrade my bios will it let me accsess those greyed out areas?
thanks for any help or advice you can give me,
troppo

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

Bios flashing does carry risks but it's relatively safe providing you take certain precautions.

First of all, I would NOT advise that you use any type of LIVE update flash that some motherboard manufacturers offer. i.e the type that update the bios over the internet. Stick to the old method of booting from a floppy disk instead. (See the manufacturers website for full instructions & make sure you understand them).

Also :
* NEVER pull the power during a bios update
* Make sure you use a floppy disk that is either brand new or at least has been fully formatted & tested for bad sectors.
* Most bios update utilities allow you to backup the original bios before flashing. Make sure you do this.
* Make sure you down the correct bios version for your board (check PCB version numbers as well as model numbers)
* Only flash the bios if you are certain the update is necessary or if you know it will do what you expect it to do

As for the reasons you want to flash your bios, I wouldn't bank on it resolving the overclock settings you refered to.
The reason they are greyed out is likely to be for one of two reasons :

1. Either the computer manufacter has disabled certain settings in the bios. EG Some computer manufacturers (such as Tiny) would use motherboards made by MSI for example. However, they would restrict access to certain bios settings to prevent people from changing these settings & damaging their computers or making them unstable

2. The overclock facility has been disabled by a jumper setting on the motherboard. Jumpers will always override bios settings.

That said, I could be wrong. I suggest you go to the motherboard manufacturers website & read up on exactly what the updated bios fixes before you do anything.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ive had alot of success using winflash to update my bios, i was originally wary of it but ive done it a half dozen times on this machine without incident, i kept floppy backups orginally though to be safe.

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
hey guys thanks for the replies
sam i was going to use the floppy drive to install the new bios. and just to clarify flashing the bios will still not allow me to change the settings that are greyed out?

is it ok to jump from version f4 to f7 all in one go or is it better to change to f5 then f6 then f7?

now the motherboard that i have (gigabyte GA-8ipe775-G) comes in two version or revisions
there is revision 1.1 and 1.2 http://www.gigabyte....rd=ga-8ipe775-g

how do i no which bios to install rev 1.1 or 1.2 i have looked on everest but it doesnt tell me it gives me every other detail that i would ever need to no but not this one lol

and scott my motherboard comes with a qflash utility have you heard much about it is it good and safe to use? it came on my driver cd.

sorry 1 last question
sam jumpers allow me to overclock? i have never heard about this before. which and what jumpers will allow me to do this i no you will probably tell me to look at the manual but the manual is the worst manuals i have ever read it tells you what teh board can support and goes through the bios but it doesnt tell you what the settings actually do.

so just to recap
1) flashing teh bios still wont let me change teh greyed out settings?
2)is it ok to jump from version f4 to f7 or do i do it step by step?
3) the board comes i two version which one and how do i find otu which one i have?
4)have you guys heard much about the qflash utility is it good and safe?

thanks you guys for your help and guidence i really dont want to stuff this up if i do decide to do it
once again thank you very much,
troppo

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

so just to recap
1) flashing teh bios still wont let me change teh greyed out settings?
2)is it ok to jump from version f4 to f7 or do i do it step by step?
3) the board comes i two version which one and how do i find otu which one i have?
4)have you guys heard much about the qflash utility is it good and safe?

1) Can't promise it, no. However I've been looking at the manual for your motherboard to get a better idea of the available overclock setting. Can you tell me exactly which settings are greyed out?

2) Jumping from one bios revision to a much higher one is not really advisable. You don't need to install every revision in between but I would maybe jump from F4 to F6, then upto F7.

3) The version number of the board should be printed on the actual motherboard somewhere (normally near the model number). Failing that, you may see it on the POST screen when you first power the system on.

4) I'll leave Warriorscot to answer this as I never use qflash

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Cant say ive used Qflash myself, the only flashing utility ive used and that i know other people succesfully use is the winflash utility. If you have a supported motherboard you can download it and use it alot of motherboard companies use winflash but if you were given qflash i would stick to it or given i dont know alot about it stick with floppies, the time saving isnt massive with the windows apps its just handy sometimes. And the only thing i can find about qflash is a flash making tool, there is also one called winflash as well which is annoying.