Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Aol and internet

• Please log in to reply

Mssuzi01

Mssuzi01

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
:whistling: We just returned to the states, while we were moving around we had conncected to AOL (since it was on my new computer and free for 90 days). Well, we finally found a house, deleted AOL, contacted our cable company and tried to get internet through the company. He connected the whole set up but when he clicked on Internet Explorer it said error. He called the company in Atlanta they said its was fine....everything is coming thru. So then we disconnected my computer and hooked up my husbands computer it worked perfect and fast. No problems. The cable guy told me he thinks its AOL but he can't be 100 percent sure...could be my computer because it says you are connected to the internet but nothing is coming thru. Well, we tried and tried to figure it out but we can't get it to come up. It will show connected and that but where is it??? so then we probably did a stupid thing, we put AOL back on there and plugged it into the regular phone jack and guess what? It works!! We can connect to the internet. But it is super slow. I am going crazy and have no clue what to do. How do I totally erase AOL and set my computer up to use this fast speed internet thru our cable company? Do I need to take it in and have it reconfigured?? Thank you so very very very much for any help anyone can give me...this is a new computer....worked great with our other internet service in Italy and even had it hooked up thru the wireless network and everything but then AOL seems to have done something. Take care....Susan

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Hi:

Be sure to do a delete of AOL by Control panel's Add/Remove Utility, then do a HD search for the rest of the AOL stuff and manually delete those folders/files. Only thing left then would be Registry keys, but any free Registry Cleaner will do those for you. GTG has several recommendations for this utility.

You might also want to go to the Malware Section and follow the clean up instructions there just to be sure.

The fact AOL worked after being installed on the phone line is because the new cable connection may not have been installed properly. Did the guy run the install software for the cable modem? If yes, then you may need to check the Firewall permissions for it under the Exceptions tab. Also, check via Control Panel under Phone and Modem Options. You could also right-click on My Computer, select Properties and the the Hardware tab. Click Device Manager, select View menu and then Devices by connections. Expand all the submenu items (have the plus + sign) if possible. Note any items with yellow exclamation points or red x's.

Be sure to set/check Internet Explorer's Internet Options as well as SP2 being installed.

Bet I missed something, but other members will come along with ideas and/or solution.

Ron