Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to determine Zone Alarm settings

• Please log in to reply

PinkElephant

PinkElephant

• Pip
  • 4 posts
[font=Century Gothic][size=4]Hi, we just switched to DSL but are using backup dial up because the DSL box is hot to the touch and the DSL light is blinking red.

I have had Zone Alarm for years, and was pleased to see that it is in partnership with my new internet provider. (yahooSBC) However, neither the isp help desk nor Zone Alarm can advise me if certain files should be approved or denied. Specifically yop.exe and yup.exe (yahoo programs) are particulary puzzling since they are in partnership with each other.

If there is a way for me to check this out for myself, I'd gladly appreciate to know that, too!

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Process File: yop.exe
Process Name: SBC Yahoo! Online Protection

Description: yop.exe is a process associated with the SBC Yahoo! Online Protection application. It is a security suite that helps you make sure your system is completely protected.

Process File: yupdater.exe
Process Name: Yahoo! Messenger Updater

Description: yupdater.exe is a process belonging to the Yahoo Messenger Internet chat program and is responsible for online updates. This program is non-essential process to the running of the system, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.

There are a number of spyware threads for YUP

Please go here:

Malware Removal Guide

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, ask for advice in the Malware Forum

PinkElephant

PinkElephant

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks Keith!

I didn't mention that I've denied any unknowns. Should I still run the malware programs just in case?

Thanks,

Debbie

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You should be able to allow YOP as it seems to be integral to the security provided by Yahoo

As the process library only has YUPDATER as opposed to YUP, you may want to keep denying it

I would run the malware programmes

If you double click the ZA taskbar icon then click programme control then programmes, you can right click any entry and click remove if you allow and tick remember the decision for something you should not

PinkElephant

PinkElephant

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks, I will do that and get back to you!