Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem formatting external hard drive

• Please log in to reply

SSP_TY

SSP_TY

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I recently purchased a Seagate 250GB 7200rpm HD and after initializing it, partitioning it, when I go to format it, then it sits there and says its formatting for a long time. I realize a drive of this size will take a while to format, but when I've left it sit there to try formatting for almost a day and a half, I'm starting to think there is a problem. Does anyone have some advice?

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
Hey there SSP_TY. Are you trying to formatt it in windows???

Also, try a "Quick format", this will still format the hard drive but wont take as long.

Cool :whistling:

SSP_TY

SSP_TY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Yes, I'm doing the formatting in Windows. I will give the quick format a try and see if that works. I'll post a response.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Yes, I'm doing the formatting in Windows.

I would recommend formating the drive outside of windows using your windows disk.

Read this: (If the quick format works, then there is no need for this)
http://www.geekstogo...howtopic=101068

SSP_TY

SSP_TY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
How does reinstalling the OS pertain to an external HD? Wouldn't that just install the entire OS onto the external hard drive if I formatted it that way? Does it detect the external HD as it does a internal HD in order to create/delete partitions?

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
Hey again SSP_TY, sorry for the late reply.

Well if you just want to format the drive, you dont have to load windows on it. Instead when the computer restarts make sure it boots from your first hard drive and then you can delete all the temp installtion files, you should also be able to format from windows now.

And yes if you do wish to install windows on the extrenal then it will run as if it was an iternal HD. But if you move the external from computer to computer the windows will be unstable this is because of the drivers that where loaded when you installed windows on your computer.

I would not recommend installing windows on a external hard drive.