Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen, Cannot Boot

• Please log in to reply

xxfntmxx

xxfntmxx

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
I dont know but it might have something to do with me installing Kerio personal firewall, but heres what happened
I was using my computer as i always do, i launched World of Warcraft, Kerio poped up and asked if the program would be allowed to connect to the internet. After i clicked allow, the blue screen appeared. I didnt copy down the code, but it had something like dumping memory and it started counting from 1-7 when i rebooted my computer. After that my computer wont start windows. If i start it normally, it would not go to the welcome screen. After windows load screen, the screen stays black.

i dont remember exactly what the message said, it was something like if this is your first time gettingthis message, restart your computer, and on the bottom theres a message saying its dumping memory or somethingof the sort

i tried to start it in safe mode, but it stops loading files after Windows\system32\driver\agp440.sys.

so needless to say, i cant get back on to windows and look at the blue screen again.

im running Windows XP home edition.

i have not made any changes to my computer other then installing the Kerio firewall.

please help

Edited by xxfntmxx, 16 April 2006 - 01:22 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
1. Restart your computer, keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options

Select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for a system checkpoint which is prior to the onset of the problem and restore that

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

http://support.micro....com/kb/315222/

If no change

Please go here to repair your operating system

You will need the computer's product key to complete this

Repair XP

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running the repair it will be necessary to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

xxfntmxx

xxfntmxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Im sorry, but i cant load safe mode, its stuck after the last message on the screen is windows\sytem32\drivers\agp440.sys, and it just stays on that

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Safe mode with command prompt is different

xxfntmxx

xxfntmxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I chose the Safe mode with command prompt, and windows XP home edition, it still stops after windows\system32\drivers\agp440.sys

i waited about 5 mins for it to move off of that, does it take longer?

i have a 2.53ghz p4
1gig ram
120gig hdd

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have the XP CD and product key do the repair

xxfntmxx

xxfntmxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I dont have a windows XP cd, i bought the computer from compaq and they have recovery CDs, is that the same thing?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Not usually, recovery CD's can be limited to destructive recovery which would delete any existing data and programmes outside of XP

You would need to ask Compaq what the recovery CD's you have are capable of

xxfntmxx

xxfntmxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I asked a friend of mine, and he has a windows XP professional CD, Will that work with the Windows XP home edition installed on my computer?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
No, you could be lucky with a borrowed XP Home CD and your product key, the CD would need to be the same as the version which was installed

Advertisements

xxfntmxx

xxfntmxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Thanks for your help keith, i guess there is no option other then in place reinstall of windows, i found the instructions for my recovery CD and it has a "Standard recovery" option which it describes as a non-destructive recovery which recovers factory shipped programs, drivers, and operating system without affecting any data files that you may have created since purchasing the pc.

i guess this is the same?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Non destructive is good

xxfntmxx

xxfntmxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I did the recovery, and it didnt delete my files, so it was the same was u described. Problem i have now is that many of my programs dont work and they dont show up in the Add/Remove program list so i dont know how i can reinstall them. Is it best to just delete the folders and install a fresh copy?

thank for the help

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run this then post back with how things are then

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then also from system tools, run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm then reboot.

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

xxfntmxx

xxfntmxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I did that and basicly had to reinstall my programs that didnt know, now i have another problem

When i checked my event manager and saw that there was a event id 7009 error with Application Layer Gateway timing out, so i searched the forum and found some advice to run chkdsk /f /r i did that and rebooted my computer, and i have tried about 3 times, everytime it would go to check the disk it would say beginning to check :C then the type of HDD it is NTFS and then it saids it cannot get direct access to the volume and then disk check has finnished then boot windows. i dont think it has checked it at all. and at every reboot this would come up.

Another thing is that after the disk check problem came up, i lost all optical drives in my computer. I checked device manager and found that there are yellow exclamation marks and it said that windows has loaded the drivers but cannot find the hardware device, i have not unplugged or modified anything, i can open my optical drives when i press the eject button on them so i think they are getting power.

help please!

Edited by xxfntmxx, 17 April 2006 - 01:09 PM.