Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem uninstalling NAV 2003

• Please log in to reply

ProEd

ProEd

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Recently I purchased NAV 2006 and attempted to replace my Symantec NAV 2003 (included w/ my Norton
System Works 2003). The attempt has been unsuccessful, though I have followed Symantec's online tech support instructions (frustrating & worthless). As of this writing, I have followed all instructions, have removed all Norton software, excluding Norton WMI Update (will not allow me to remove WMI using Add/Remove in Windows Control Panel, being used by another application). Also, having removed Norton System Works, Ghost, Live Update & Live Reg there remains a Norton Antivirus subdirectory under the Program Files subdirectory that did not uninstall when I removed System Works. Attempting to install NAV 2006 I receive a message that I must first uninstall the older NAV version.

I have a log of my chats w/ Symantec tech's. (MS Word document). If useful let me know & I will forward.

In the meantime, any help would be appreciated. I have forbidden my children from accessing the internet until I have AV protection again. They have online homework to do, as you will understand. Perplexed and disappointed in Symantec, since I've been using NAV for about 15 years sucessfully. I have experienced only one worm & no viruses in that time (Winfixer last year & repaired thru GeeksToGo, thank you!).

Happy Easter.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you run this?

Norton Uninstall Tool

ProEd

ProEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Did you run this?
Norton Uninstall Tool

ProEd

ProEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Sorry Keith. Looks like I clicked the wrong button 1st time. In any case, I have not run your recommendation. I do not recall receiving this instruction from Symantec tech support. I will run it now & advise results. I must first log off my laptop and switch to the problem computer. Be back shortly, and thanks.

ProEd

ProEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Keith.... I linked to the Norton Uninstall Tool and ran it. Got to Step 6 "When you see "Welcome to Norton Removal Tool"". I received a window messsage, as follows;

"Norton Removal Tool - 2006.2.10.19
Manual Application Removal
The following programs were found on this computer. These must be removed through"Add/Remove Programs" before Norton Removal Tool can proceed.
Norton AntiVirus 2003."

I again attempted to remove NAV 2003 using the Add/Remove icon in Control Panel but NAV 2003 is not listed.

Suggestions?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Don't suppose you will hurry to do this one but re-installing a programme can replace whatever is missing for it to uninstall

You can use search, including hidden and system files to look for Norton and then Symantec, sending any files to the recycle bin, leaving them there until you reboot the PC to check it runs properly, you can restore anything from the recycle bin if it does not

If it does run OK, reboot again just to check, if that goes well then

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, reboot, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Install an anti virus programme

ProEd

ProEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Keith.... Thanks for the info. Looks like it will take a little while to complete. I will report the results.

Your location is shown as England. Must be getting late for you. I sincerely appreciate your late hour assistance.

By the by.... I like your Red Cross flag. Most appropriate, wish I had thought of that. I have a litho on my office wall labeled "Trauma Center", appropriately colored, since I deal with customer emergencies in the air pollution control industry.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
There may be two entries in the registry, Tune Up should deal with those

Hope it goes well

ProEd

ProEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
OK Keith.... here's where I'm at.

Followed your instructions as far as deleting all Norton entries. There were some Symantec entries that would not delete. Went to Add/Remove Programs and deleted Norton WMI, even though it was recommended that I do not. Oh well.

Rebooted my PC several w/ the following consistent result (this actually occured prior to my contact w/ GeeksToGo, following my original uninstall of Norton System Works).

At reboot of the Windows screen the pop-up message appears "Microsoft.Net Framework. An unhandled exception has occurred in a component in your application. Click Continue and application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

Clicking "Continue", "Close" or the top right "X" in the box simply returns the same message, over and over. The only way to stop this pop-up is to open task manager and execute "End Now", after which a seemingly normal Windows desktop opened. Since your instructions included "If it does run OK...." which it did not, I am concerned that I have other issues. I will await your comments prior to following your further instructions.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use add / remove to uninstall .net framework

Then run tune up registry clean up

Then download .net framework

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

It has a service pack and a hot fix so 3 visits in all

If you download it before uninstalling it, it may not run

Advertisements

ProEd

ProEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Will do now. Must disconnect and move to the problem computer.

By the by, I use Firefox (been burned using IE). Are we reasonably safe w/o AV protection on the web w/ Firefox/Thunderbird? At least short term? I'm still using modem dial up (slow but works for me for home use), have not switched to hi-speed yet.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You will likely need IE to access Microsoft Update, providing it is the only page running, you would be unlucky to attract unhelpful attention

Though you can run any of these to check before you install an anti virus programme if you want to check

Online Scans

Panda Scan

House Call

Trend Micro Spyware Scan

Kaspersky Online Scan

ProEd

ProEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Clicked on your MS link to download ".net framework". What I encountered was MS downlaod center, listing >14 downloads, none of which mentioned .net framework. Download time for these 14 items was estimated at close to 10 hours. Please be a bit more specific on what I need to download. Perhaps a different website?

I accessed using MS IE.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It will be listed as Software (optional)

[attachment=7911:attachment]

If any were listed as high priority, they should be installed as well, though you may want to deal with .net framework first

.Net Framework 1.1

.Net Framework 1.1 Service Pack

Microsoft Update will then list the hotfix as high priority

ProEd

ProEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Keith.... I have clicked on the .net Framework website you sent to me. Looks to be a rather long download. Get some sleep man. I will forward results when finished.

Sincerely appreciated.... ProEd