Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Prescott Processor

• Please log in to reply

Trish

Trish

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hello....I am looking to upgrade and I am trying to understand the different between a normal P4 and Prescott P4. From what I have read, the Prescott is suppose to be faster.

I really don't understand, because for $349 you can get a 'Intel Socket 775 Pentium 4 3.2GHZ 800MHZ FSB CPU'

However for $325 you get a Intel S478 Pentium 4 3.2EGhz 800FSB Prescott HT CPU

As you can see, both are 3.2Ghz, so if the Prescott is suppose to be a faster and better processor, why is it cheaper??? Does anyone recommend the Prescott over the normal P4....are there any problems with the Prescott??? I am kinda only starting out in this kinda stuff, so go easy...Thanks in advance :tazz:

Advertisements

Master_Axe

Master_Axe

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
hi, this is kind of late... i hope i can help from what i've read recently! As far as i know, or at least from what you just told me, only the prescott has HT. If that's right, then it's all clear^^. HT (hyper-threading), simply put, produces a second, "imaginary", core or cpu, i don't know :tazz:. It actually tells your cpu that there's a second one. Sort of lol. Anyhow, consequently, it makes the cpu faster. If you've heard of it, in the 3Q 2005 there will be a processor called "smithfield" which will actually have 2 cores.
There's just one.... ah i can't think of the word, ill have to use "problem". HT can only be used, at least in games, as far as i know, if it is programmed with "mutlithreading". Otherwise it can't be used and is therefore useless. I don't know if that applies to windows etc as well. Hope that sort of helps ~~. You're probably better off searching the web about HT.

Master_Axe

Master_Axe

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
oh, it's cheaper... i thought it was the more expensive one lol^^. Maybe one's on sale, or used? Or maybe it has to do with the 3.2"E"Ghz. Maybe the e means something like that the ghz are screwed up with ht? I have no idea lol ^^