Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer.EXE Application Failed (0xc0000005)

• Please log in to reply

Rugbyfly

Rugbyfly

• Pip
  • 9 posts
on Startup i get an error message "Explorer.exe Application Error" "Application failed to initialize properly(0xc0000005) Click on OK to terminate application" it works in safe mode but im just running everything from task manager in normal mode now tried ad aware and system restore with no luck

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run these from task manager, file, new task

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Rugbyfly

Rugbyfly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
no good same messege when i run prefetch i get the same message twice then i get "Prefetch" "Windows cannot find "Prefetch". Make Sure you typed the name correctly, then try again. To search for A file click start..." and the other one comes up with the "windows cannot find..."

Rugbyfly

Rugbyfly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
is there a complete file path for either or both of those?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Both should work from file, new task

did you put a space between sfc and /scannow

sfc /scannow

Rugbyfly

Rugbyfly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
sfc /scannow works but still no on the prefetch

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The system file check is of more use at the moment, did it ask for the XP CD

Rugbyfly

Rugbyfly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
no it brought up the window to do the scan but never went anywhere tried three times with nothing else running

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.micro....com/kb/315222/

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

Rugbyfly

Rugbyfly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
already tried to system restore it resored everything else but same error message

Edited by Rugbyfly, 16 April 2006 - 06:58 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you get safe mode with networking to download Tune Up

If not

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need the XP product key to complete this

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

Rugbyfly

Rugbyfly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
the XP Repair brought the taskbar and icons back but internet explorer doesnt work and i have a warning message file stuck as my background, i have renamed the file and another one showed up. Right clicking gives me file properties instead of desktop properties heres the message: file://C:\WINDOWS\warnhp.html

Warning! Spyware threat detected! System error #1752

Your computer has several fatal errors due to spyware activity.
Your IP address is 127.0.0.1and via this address an unauthorized
access was gained by another computer. It is strictly recommeded
to install an anti-virus software to close all security breaches.

Your IP address: 127.x.x.x
They know you're using: Internet Explorer
Your computer is: AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3500+ 2210 MHz, 1.00 GB of RAM

Risk status for further investigation: VERY HIGH RISK

To protect your computer from spyware attacks - click here
To erase the tracks of your internet activity - click here

click here path:

http://www.hypoteche...ub=0&q=Removers

Edited by Rugbyfly, 17 April 2006 - 01:18 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run these, you may need to use another PC to save them to disc, (floppy)

http://www.grc.com/s...hemessenger.htm

http://www.geekstogo...ction=show&id=7

Rugbyfly

Rugbyfly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I ended up giving up i reformatted both hard drives installed windows on each and about 30 min in i was on the internet and within about 30 sec it told me i was at risk in the bottom right corner then that windows firewall had been disabled, then popups started comin up, it locked up so i shut it down with the front power switch, when i restarted it was running "spy sheriff" and had disabled me task manager. so i shut it down unplugged that hard drive and here i am, is there any hope or am i better off just reformatting again nothing lost i saved all needed files to both hard drives?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I would start over, especially as you have the data you need backed up

Use another PC to download a firewall and antivirus programme and make sure they are on, even before you load the router drivers

Some software like printer and scanner software prefers to be installed with the anti virus off, so you could load all those before installing the anti virus

When you are ready to connect to the internet, make sure the firewall and anti virus programmes are installed and running, then update those before going to Microsoft Update

Firewall, Zone Alarm free is popular

http://www.filehippo...ware/firewalls/

Anti Virus, AVG Free is popular and works well with Zone Alarm Free

http://www.filehippo...ware/antivirus/

Anti Spyware, 1, 6, 7 and 8 work with XP

http://www.filehippo...re/antispyware/

Shoot The Messenger, helps to avoid some pop ups

http://www.grc.com/s...hemessenger.htm

The Malware Team can deal with this, however, you are looking at a few days of back and forth, against a few hours to format and install

Use the default format, not the quick option