Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer stops where the Boot Screen Should go.

• Please log in to reply

redmercuryvii

redmercuryvii

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, so my brothers been messing around with Windows Tune Up Styler and changing themes and logons and boot screens. Well, now hes done it.

The computer starts up and continues through the motherboard screens. Than where the Boot Screen should be, it displays the following message and stops there.

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system 32\ntoskrnl.exe.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I have no idea whats going on, so if anyones got an idea, i'd appreciate it. Thanks

heres a site with pics
http://viewmorepics....cb-4580b9b774d1
don't know if it'll work

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Missing or corrupt ntoskrnl.exe file

To restore this file follow the steps below.

Insert the Microsoft Windows XP CD.

Note: If you have a recovery CD or a restore CD and not a Microsoft Windows XP CD it is unlikely that these steps will resolve your issue.

Reboot the computer, as the computer is starting you should see a message to press any key to boot from the CD. When you see this message press any key.

In the Microsoft Windows XP setup menu press the R key to enter the recovery console.

Select the operating system you wish to fix, and then enter the administrator password.

Type expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32

You will then be prompted if you wish to overwrite the file type Y and press enter to overwrite the file.

Type exit to reboot the computer.