Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard cpu - Hardrive compatible?

• Please log in to reply

wah28

wah28

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi there...

my mother board currently broke down so we went out to buy a new motherboard. if i put the motherboard into my computer will my hardrive detect it because of the different drivers.

if not, what are the steps that i need to take to fix my computer. currently i just bought a new motherboard so any help would be appriciated..thanks.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

hi there...

my mother board currently broke down so we went out to buy a new motherboard. if i put the motherboard into my computer will my hardrive detect it because of the different drivers.

if not, what are the steps that i need to take to fix my computer. currently i just bought a new motherboard so any help would be appriciated..thanks.

Well make shure you got the correct motherboard that has the same socket type for the processor. Harddrives will recognize when you swap to new motherboards easily. The harddrive wont have different drivers, its the motherboard that will be different drivers and its usually better to always do a full format and reinstall windows but you dont have to if you dont want.. If you decide to you need to find a way to save all of your data that you want to keep..

If you install everything onto the new mobo it will work if everything fits. You might want to do a full format though on the harddrive and do a fresh install. Up to you, its very easy, good luck.

wah28

wah28

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
then how do i save my files....

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

then how do i save my files....

I dont know what you have so think, the only way is to burn the files on a cd or dvd disks or get another harddrive and put your current harddrive in another pc if you have one so you can get whatever files you need off of it....

OR

the other thing is to go ahead and install everything to the new mobo and power on the system and get into windows and save the data/files that way.. Then after your done saving all you want, reformat the harddrive and do a fresh install of windows..

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Its up to you if you want to even reinstall windows, ill leave it to you..