Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows will randomly freeze

• Please log in to reply

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
When i have my computer on for 10-15 min iit will randomly decide to freeze. It will show my led light on but the mouse will not move. I cannot get to Task Manager. I waited it out for about 10 min and still the computer was doing the same thing !

So i decided to reformat, i really didn't have anyhting special on there in the first place. Well i wasn't having andy problems in the first boot yesterday. I restart today and now im right back to Windows freezeing again !

Is it a hard drive problem ? I have had it for only a year is it already bad ?!?!

I use AVAST for security so i don't think that it is a Virus. I am about to run scandisk so hopefulyl thayt may show something ~!

But if you have any tips or ideas of what may be wrong i woudl really appreciate the ideas !

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Mr.Chow...

Let's take a look at the event logs and see if we can spot anything there that might be causing this. Click Start, then Run, type eventvwr.msc, and click "Ok".

In the left pane, click on "System". In the right pane, look for any red notifiers that occur at about the time of your hangs. List a few of the most recent ones for me.

wannabe1

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
There are two that come up alot they are called

DCOM

and

Service Control Manager

Both of these are related to ipod on Itunes. I deleted the folder so that it wouldn't start proccess on my computer upon boot up. I have done this before and has caused no problems before.

There are no more errors on startup ... This is what i got when i just started it up.

The computer will usually freeze upon multitasking. It shsouldn't my specs are good and this has never happened before.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download Speed Fan (Click on the SpeedFan 4.28 link in the second paragraph), install it, and run it to monitor voltages and temperatures. Pay particular attention to the voltages...a fluctuation of as little as .5v (even less for the 1.5v leg) is enough to cause system and application hangs.

Because heat can also be a culprit, please post the temperatures here for me...particularly after the machine has run for 10 or 15 minutes.

Edited by wannabe1, 16 April 2006 - 11:01 PM.

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
SInce i couldn't post the url of it i will attatch a screen shot of it. Hopefully that will work for you.

Ok i don't think that worked either ...

VCOREA: 1.63V
VCOREB: 2.66V
+3.3V: 3.39V
+5V: 5.16V
+12V: 12.10V

-12V: -12.36V
-5V: -5.45V
+5VSB: 5.46V
VBAT: 3.70V

Now for tempetures ...

Temp1: 22c
Temp2: 37c
Temp3: -48c
Temp: 41c
Temp1:34c

All these temps have a blue down arrow except Temp (Just Temp), Has a green check on it.

Edited by Mr.Chow, 17 April 2006 - 11:47 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Everything looks ok there...

Lets try a selective startup and see if you have a software conflict.

Click Start, then Run, type msconfig, and click "Ok". Under the "General" tab. Check the box next to "Selective Startup" and deselect "Load Startup Items"...click "Apply" then "Ok". Reboot.

Run the system for a bit...does it still hang?

Edited by wannabe1, 17 April 2006 - 02:09 PM.

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
I use 2000 by the way .... msconfig command aint workin ...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download and install MSCONFIG.EXE for Windows 2000. Then try the msconfig command.

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Ok will do ! I started using it today. Like i said before though it is sort of random burts that this will happen or when the computer really has to do some kind of work. So i will run it for the rest of today and let you know either later today or Tomarrow. I haven't not had any problems yet wich makes me now think it might not be the hardware wich makes me somewhat happier =)

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Ok i did what you sugested and i had no problems nothing froze, eevrything ran very well! So now how can I narrow the problem down to what is conflicting ?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Great!

Open msconfig and click on the "Startup" tab. Scroll to the bottom of the list of startup programs and uncheck the last program. Then click on the "General" tab and recheck "Load Startup Items" and "Normal Startup". Click "Apply" then "Ok". Reboot.

Ignore the Selective Startup window you see for the time being...just click "Ok".

See if your machine hangs. If it does, go back to msconfig and put the check back in that one and uncheck the one above it. Reboot. See if the machine hangs. See how this works? It's a process of elimination...uncheck a program, try it, if no difference you recheck that and uncheck the one above it and try again.

Just keep doing this to all the programs under start up until you isolate which program is causing the hang and leave it unchecked. That will be the bad program we need to address.

Let me know what you find... :whistling:

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 19 April 2006 - 11:48 AM.